X

16 tooth spocket

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rok_Stars_Bars View Post
    Well I do know that the 16 on front of Matt0302 gave worst Mpg. I believe if anyone looking for better mpg there ain't goin to get better then stock. I think his drop a couple of miles. Not sure how much, but the results wasn't in his favor.
    you can't tell people their idea's won't work, that's my job

Comment

Originally posted by baddkat View Post
      LOL, I thought about that too, he probably kept riding around at the same RPM, just faster.
      I did the same with my last truck, I upgraded the injectors, air intake and full exhaust but my fuel consumption got worse! didn't take me long to realize I was driving around like a maniac because it had more power and sounded awesome!! Once I went back to my "father of two" driving style, things got much cheaper.
      I guess time will tell, before the swap I was getting about 250km (155 mi) per tank before switching to reserve, what about some of you guys??
      Well he said he does alot of Highway driving around 70 or 80mph. And his theory was now that he added a tooth in which drop his rpm (I think he said 500 or 600 rpm) which drop his hp/torque but he was riding constant at 70 or 80mph with hi drag. So I guess maybe even drop him out his powerband and the bike is having to fight harder to stay at speed,
      sigpic
      Update Jul 11 2014
      Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        you can't tell people their idea's won't work, that's my job
        that just makes it a challenge

Originally posted by Rok_Stars_Bars View Post
        Well he said he does alot of Highway driving around 70 or 80mph. And his theory was now that he added a tooth in which drop his rpm (I think he said 500 or 600 rpm) which drop his hp/torque but he was riding constant at 70 or 80mph with hi drag.
        That makes sense, it makes about 6-7% change and yes about 5-600 rpm at crusing. I usually cruise at 130 Km/Hr (80 Mph) at 5600Rpm but I think that now I am at a better place of the rpm/torque curve. It sure feels better to me but I have not gone as far as testing the theory. I think I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
        Last edited by baddkat; 07-27-2008, 12:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

My top speed raised when I went from 15/47 to 14/47...... the motor just didn't have the power to pull all the way through 6th gear before, but the small change from gearing put the motor more in it's powerband, and allowed it to pull all the way to redline. Just a thought.....
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

this is what I considered when I decided to go up one on the front:
            http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0008_gearing/index.html

in the end it was a $20 front sprocket vs $100+ for a rear sprocket and chain, a cheap experiment. Tomorrow I'll take it for a long ride and see how it measures up. As long as I make an effort to maintain my usual 130 KM/Hr the comparison will be fair.

my new gear ratio is 2.81:1
            the old was 3:1
            sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

Originally posted by baddkat View Post
              this is what I considered when I decided to go up one on the front:
              http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0008_gearing/index.html

in the end it was a $20 front sprocket vs $100+ for a rear sprocket and chain, a cheap experiment. Tomorrow I'll take it for a long ride and see how it measures up. As long as I make an effort to maintain my usual 130 KM/Hr the comparison will be fair.

my new gear ratio is 2.81:1
              the old was 3:1
              Looks like you found a pretty sound article to work from..... be sure to post results once you've tested it thoroughly. Every bit of testing that a member does increases the knowledge of the whole site..... that's how it's gotten to be the great resource it is! I'll be looking forward to your report.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I went to the same 16 tooth last year. Did the same minor grinding. In answer to some of your comments:
                1) My mileage went up slightly. You have to factor in the speedo error. What I did is rode over the same 200+ mile route for a before and after.
                2) Top speed is the same since the Kat will run out of power or road or time before it pulls to redline in top gear. Again because the speedo is not correct you need to calculate the difference.
                3) I seldom find myself shifting up when I'm already in 6th. In other words it's more comfortable to cruise at high speed.
                4) The effective wheelbase is shorter since the 16 tooth sprocket is larger so the bike steers a little quicker (not a drastic difference but noticeable).
                5) The bike pulls from a stop a little more sluggish but not so much that you need to slip the clutch more than stock. Even riding 2 up it's very manageable.

Comment

Looking for the best exhaust for your Kat or need help with the installation ?
                  From the Mesh Mod to the Fender Eliminator, installing new signals, Braada Cowls,
                  Frame sliders or Undertails; Show us all of your custom mods and share your tips here.

I went to a 16/43 setup, my mpg averaged about the same. I need some maintenance engine work anyway, so after i get that done it might help out some. My highway rpms dropped about 1000, and no i don't drive any faster, actually a little slower. overall, I still like the change. I might go to a 44 rear next change and see how that works.
                  myspace
                  2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

is there anyway to correct the speedo after sprocket changes? if you go higher in front and lower out back, you could be cruising at what you think is 70 but your doing 80 ...possibly
                    1989 katana 750

Comment

yes, a speedo healer, google it

Comment

Originally posted by frosti108 View Post
                        is there anyway to correct the speedo after sprocket changes? if you go higher in front and lower out back, you could be cruising at what you think is 70 but your doing 80 ...possibly
                        at original sprocket ratio, I was already off by 10 mph. by changing it, my speedo wasn't off at all. beleive me, I got pulled over for doing "72-73ish" and that was accurate. I didn't get a ticket only a warning, but I knew that was my speed.
                        myspace
                        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

stock it's off 7-8% not 10mph

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                            stock it's off 7-8% not 10mph
                            yes, the percent varies.
                            I was about 10-11% off, my 10 mph off was at highway speeds (70 mph)
                            myspace
                            2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

haha i wonder what happens if you try to mount the 17 tooth they have on bike bandit do u even have to grind anything on a pre?
                              1989 katana 750

Comment

no, you won't be able to put the front sprocket cover on, there fore, you shouldn't have to grind anything

Comment

Working...
                                X