X

Idling Issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idling Issues

Hi all. Recently purchased my 1997 Kat 600 with 18,000 miles on it currently. It runs pretty well. It starts up with no choke and will idle fine then. However, after warming up, say, while i'm sitting at a light, it doesn't want to stay running without me giving it some gas. Sometimes, if I stop quickly it will almost stall out as well.

I'm guessing that a good valve cleaning/adjustment, carb cleaning and synching, and oil change will solve this problem for good; but can anyone diagnose this problem further to possibly help me fix it?

Thanks!

this is a arsenic thread!
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

If it starts up and idles fine from cold with no "choke", then it is too rich. Unless of course it's 90 degrees out and even then it should be a little poor idle with no enrichment.

Comment

Its over 100 today in CT. However, I had the same problem before when it was cooler. So, drain some oil?

Comment

Start by getting a bottle of techron fuel system cleaner (any auto parts store, most walmarts); go to a name-brand (Shell, Chevron, BP, Mobil - something with high-detergent content) gas station, pour in 1/3rd of the bottle and top off the tank. Then ride for at least 20 miles and park it overnight. In the morning ride again. That afternoon, let me know if the symptoms changed at all.
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Will do tomorrow CyberPoet! You have helped me so much. Basically every question. Thanks a ton! I'll let ya know how it turns out tomorrow.

Comment

Alright! Last night I added the techron and topped off the tank - Funny story: since i'm only 17 walmart would not sell me the fuel system cleaner. Had to get a lady to help me buy it lol. Apparently kids huff it? How stupid can people be? Annnyway. It was running a bit smoother this morning on the ride and I will let you know how it goes after school today. I get out early because it is over 100* and my school has no A/C.

EDIT - UPDATE - Rode it home, and it was much better at first, but toword the end of my ride it was still having some issues. Should I add more of the fuel cleaner?
              Last edited by Roobvandam; 06-09-2008, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the triple post. This is the second day after adding the fuel system cleaner and on the ride to school there was absolutely no idle problems. However, I also didn't really have any other stops other than stop signs. So I will be able to get a good amount of riding again today to give a final say. I think I will add a bit more and top the tank off again to insure the problem. I'm happy.

Comment

Working...
                X