X

Rear Axle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle

So I bought a 96 750 a little while back. when riding i had a high speed weaving problem. I found out that the rear wheel was not aligned with the bike. I did some adjustments and got the bike to ride better. I noticed then that the axel would keep sliding on its own to the wrong position if I had the axel bolt torqued correctly. Only way to correct this was to tighten the sh** out of that bolt. well now the cotterpin dosent even pass through the nut. there is like a 1/4 gap between the cotterpin hole and the the nut. i took the wheel apart and all bearings and spacers are in place. it seems that 1/4 of an inch is missing between the swingarm sides. i don't understand. anyone have any ideas or have this problem as well? also the sproket side seems to be real close to the swingarm.
    1996 Suzuki GSX750F
    1974 Suzuki TS125
    1978 International Scout II

Best bet is to check out the parts fiche and make sure you have everything that it lists. If the cotter pin won't pass through the castle nut... it sounds like there is something there that doesn't belong... or is in backward.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I agree -- odds are you're missing a bushing (spacer) or have it seated incorrectly.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

theres a torque spec without the cotter, you don't "need" that.

Comment

Oh, one other thought -- are the chain adjusters flush to the rear of the swingarm AND undamaged? Normally when a wheel pulls off-axis, it's because the adjusters are loose, and in the process one of the adjusters gets damaged as well.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have a hella nice set of chain adjuster, well I have like 50 sets, but toughs I have listed

Comment

Also, I carry the bandit upgrade adjusters.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

One thought also, JDumont can attest to this. He was experiencing the rear tire movement. Felt like the tire slide. When I went to cut the chain off we removed the tire and removed the sprocket from the cush drive. Anyhow, the spacer inside fell right out. Its possible it might have been in backwards. One side is longer than the other. If its in backwards, it will allow the tire to float side to side. Since his fell out. We never were able to tell if this was the problem. But we both agree that it had to have been, Since the problem hasnt reoccured since we reinstalled it correctly.

Something to check.
                If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Yea I had posted a while back that after my new tires were mounted and I reinstalled the wheels that it felt "squirrelly" in the back end. Being a newbie I wasnt sure if this was due to the brand new tires not being worn in or something else. I knew everything was tight and then surmised that I put the long spacer in there backwards. There is a flange on the spacer but it isnt centered. I imagine that installing that backwards would allow some slop.

Like Newbie says, since we did the new chain and sprockets the other day I havent noticed anything odd at all...
                  1993 Kat 600 - (Parts bike)
                  1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Comment

hey thanks for all the help, the chain adjusters look good, steves had a good idea with that #9 in the parts layout. I will check that out soon and see if that is reversed. That could make sense. I will make sure all spacers are in correctly too. What is the number for that spacer Newbie2it mentioned in the parts layout? Also, the swingarm has marks from where the sproket bolts have contacted it so thats how close it is.
                    1996 Suzuki GSX750F
                    1974 Suzuki TS125
                    1978 International Scout II

Comment

If the wheel has been shifting from side to side those bolts will make contact with the swing arm. Once you fix that, they shouldn't hit anymore.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I dont honestly beleive there is enough movement on that spacer to allow the bolts to come into contact with the swing arm.

It is Part # 9 on this fiche. Its called a retainer but its just a bushing. Well, it retains the tire on true track LOL So I guess the names right. The fiche shows the correct orientation.. long side vs short side.
                        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

From the original post......

Originally posted by racer11
                          ......I noticed that the axel would keep sliding on its own to the wrong position......
                          If his tire is moving in the adjustment slots then he WILL have contact with the swingarm from the sprocket bolts. When the wheel is straight and tight, there is not a whole lot of room between the sprocket bolts and the side of the swingarm. Now, add in the fact that one end is moving in the adjustment slot.... there will be contact.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                          who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

My '90 750 had the same problem with the castle nut being too far in for the cotter pin, so did Gytr's pre 750. I'd found a split washer the appropriate size and put it behind the castle nut and that cured the problem. Did the same to Gytr's Kat a few weeks back when he was here. Hope it worked for him too. the way Black_Peter eyeballed up both bikes i'd have to believe everything is in there, and correctly. I know i studied the pics in my Clymer putting it all back together.
                            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                            X