X

Well, it DID run...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, it DID run...

hey guys. i'm trying to get my first bike on the road and running (1994 katana 600), but i'm having some problems... i dont know a whole lot about bikes, buttt..heres all the details for whats going on right now. (and yeah, i've been doing searches)

bike wouldnt start up initially. it sat for a couple years before i bought it. i took out the carbs and cleaned them up (did not adjust float height or synch however), cleaned out the jets, and put it all back together. put in a gallon of fresh gas and a little seafoam and bam, got it running. i was having problems with flooding, but i loosened up the throttle cable and that seemed to take care of it. so i let it get warm, then took it up and down my driveway a few times (long driveway), then it acted like it was choking itself, and if i gave it throttle it just died. i noticed i had forgotten to put the line from carb #4 back on the fuel petcock, so i'm assuming thats what caused that.
    now however, i cant get the bike to start. turning over great, and if i try it once every 15 minutes or so, it will sort of stumble like its about to start, but then no dice, so i'm assuming its flooding again? when i pulled the plugs, they had gas on them and a little bit of carbon, so i cleaned them up with a wire brush...i just changed the oil this morning and it smelled like gas.i know its getting fuel because, well, it ran for about 20 minutes. i guess i'm gonna go try and adjust my float height and go synching a shot...but i'm not 100% on how to do that.

any ideas? i really thought i had everything cleared up but BAM..back to square one...
    Hammer:
    Apply directly to the forehead!

okay... I actually had the same problem. Here's what I did to fix it...

1- I took the carbs out and made sure the jets were clean (again)
    2- At the same time that the carbs were off, I took out all of the spark plugs to let the cylinders dry out a bit (chances are they are flooded)
    3- On the carbs, do a visual syncing and then make sure the A/F screws are adjusted properly... for my 1990 600 Kat, I turned them to 2.25 turns out
    3- Check the each spark plug with it's respective plug to make sure it's getting a spark and that they are gapped correctly
    4- Put things all back together and try starting... (I would suggest letting the cylinders dry out for a couple hours before putting things back together just to make sure)

Hope that works for you, I had the same symptoms you are having, and now the bike runs VERY well... good luck!

-Marty
    -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

TURN THE PETCOCK TO PRIME FOR 60 SECONDS before your next attempt -- since the vac hose to the petcock was off, carbs are devoid of fuel again.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
        TURN THE PETCOCK TO PRIME FOR 60 SECONDS before your next attempt -- since the vac hose to the petcock was off, carbs are devoid of fuel again.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Unless he was, in fact, leaving it on prime all the time, which may explain the oil smelling like gas. If one of the floats was sticking down or something, it could just drain gas into a cylinder all the time if left on prime.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

it was actually on prime for awhile. the guy who i bought it off of had it on prime when i bought it, and i didnt notice until my first day working on it.

i also noticed today that my throttle cable had been replaced and was a little too short. arsenics sending me a new one. until then, i'm gonna tear through it all and check the spark/carbs on wednesday. hopefully i'll be hearing music soon. thanks for the responses!
          Hammer:

Comment

If your floats are closing properly it doesn't really matter how long it stays on prime. The floats will close regardless of what position the petcock is in. You might want to tear into the carbs again (or at least the bowls) and clean the floats again. I wouldn't worry abot adjusting them, just clean them and take the float out of it's bracket to get to the little rubber valve that is down in there. Clean it off too.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
            who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

alrighhht. let the cylinders dry out a bit and she started right up....then i hit a piece of brick in when i was turning around in the driveway and dropped it. heh. nothing like that to make you feel stupid... now all i need is a new mirror :P
              Hammer:

Comment

Working...
              X