No announcement yet.
X

Dump oil when doing Valve clearances???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dump oil when doing Valve clearances???

Need some advise here please...

I changed my oil / oil filter about 2 weeks ago and now I'm looking into doing the valve clearances myself.

Does the oil need dumping when doing the valve clearances?

No you don't have to touch the oil. you are in the clear taking of the valve cover.
    --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

Remember the valves are adjusted stone cold. Like in the morning. In fact Pirsig (Zen and the art of...) was so anal about that he mentions leaving the bike in the shade..

Comment

Does anybody here know why you adjust the valves cold? (I do, this is a test...)
        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
          Does anybody here know why you adjust the valves cold? (I do, this is a test...)
          Ohh ohhh Pick me!! I know! I know! Pick me!!!

Comment

because the shrink and expand from hot to cold
            1999 GSX750F
            ZERO GRAVITY SHIELD
            SS SCORPION ROUND SLIP ON
            CONTINENTAL ROAD ATTACK

Comment

Originally posted by emtmike View Post
              because the shrink and expand from hot to cold
              Close!

Can I tell the answer Stevie?!?!? Can I ??

If you're really fast you really want to adjust the valves hot.
              However! If the engine is warm or hot, while you are doing the adjustment the engine will cool and the clearances will increase. So you want the engine at a stable temp so no matter how long the job takes the clearances are the same.

On hot valves the clearance could be say 0.006".. and all of them could be the same. But by the time you work your way to the end the parts have cooled, now the clearance is 0.008". So the only way to be sure that the engine doesn't expand or contract is to have it cold and keep it at the same temp while working. There is a bit of "truth" to working on it in the shade. I'm just not sure that the expansion of the valve train from 50F to 110F is relevant.
              Last edited by Black_peter; 05-21-2008, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                I'm just not sure that the expansion of the valve train from 50F to 110F is relevant.
                Hey Peter how long does the take you do adjust the valves... 6h?
                This should be done within 1h and I know you do not live in an area of the US where we warm up from 50 to 110 in 1h... especially with this years weather here in MN...Right now we would be happy to see 70...
                --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

Originally posted by dnargsiefil View Post
                  Hey Peter how long does the take you do adjust the valves... 6h?
                  On an average Texas summer day and a black engine I could see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                    If you're really fast you really want to adjust the valves hot.
                    But you have to be so fast that you don't burn yourself AND have a 0.000 shim to use to measure the clearance, right?

Note about doing the valve adjustment with oil in the crankcases: put a drain pan under the signal generator cover before removing the cover.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                      But you have to be so fast that you don't burn yourself AND have a 0.000 shim to use to measure the clearance, right?
                      Hey!!
                      No fair injecting reality!

Comment

I find it's much harder to adjustment them when the engine is still running...

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks guys... saved me $50 !!!
                          Last edited by bjcrown; 05-23-2008, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X