X

Clutch problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch problem

Ok, I'm almost done assembling my bike. I noticed that the clutch doesn't seem to want to work though. I put it in gear, pull the clutch in, and it still drags the tire. I followed all of the adjustment procedures in the how to section, but it still doesnt want to disengage. This engine has been sitting for a looooooong time. Is it possible the clutch discs are just stuck to the plates? Almost ready to fire it up but I need to fix this first.

Steve
    The fuel injected Katana project

If it's been sitting a long time with old oil or sans oil, it is very likely to be the case. Allow it to run about five minutes, preferably while squeezing & releasing the clutch repeatedly (centerstand if you got one), then wait overnight and recheck; the five minutes should circulate fresh oil & the overnight should let it soak.

My kats often drag when they first start simply because the oil has enough viscosity to induce drag; as the season warms up (summer approaches) and/or the bike gets warm, it happens less and less.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ok cool. Good to hear. The motor had a decent amount of oil in it but its been sitting for I dont know how long. The other engine that came with the bike has been sitting since 2001 or 2002. No idea on this one, but it looked cleaner so I dropped it in instead.
      The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

Working...
      X