X

racing gas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• racing gas

Is it ok to put racing gas ie 110 in these bikes, not a whole tank, maybe a gallon?
    1996 Katana 600

04 Headers
    04 oil pan
    Yosh rs-3 Slip-on
    Factory Pro Jet Kit
    Factory Pro Shift Kit
    5 degree advancer

Ok? Sure. Why not. You won't gain anything at all..... hell, you might actually lose power, but it should run just fine.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

ok thanx, a guy at work told me to put a gallon or so in to help clean it out, i guess he was wrong.
      1996 Katana 600

04 Headers
      04 oil pan
      Yosh rs-3 Slip-on
      Factory Pro Jet Kit
      Factory Pro Shift Kit
      5 degree advancer

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
        Ok? Sure. Why not. You won't gain anything at all..... hell, you might actually lose power, but it should run just fine.

Not sure where you got that info from....

Comment

if he is going to give it to you for free, take it and sell it to someone else.

87 pump octane is all you need. plus they make specific products to clean it out, go with something that is made for what you are trying to accomplish.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by SeanM View Post

proven fact higher octane fuel burns slower if you dont have the engine work to match the fuel it actually lowers hp
            I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

it'll run like poo with our bikes' compression ratios

i have wondered if 89 octane would be better in a Kat if your pump gas is a 10% Ethenol blend... dunno
              1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

try seafoam if you want to clean the fuel system up. use about 1oz to 1 gal
                02' Katana 600
                D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

Originally posted by SeanM View Post
                  From many people highly educated in such things.
                  I've also gotten opposite information from many a shirtless redneck at the dragstrip, but considering the source, I've picked a side.

On a personal note, I never saw a better 1/4 mile time than when I was running 89 octane.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by ras View Post
                    try seafoam if you want to clean the fuel system up. use about 1oz to 1 gal
                    I usually dump half the bottle in. lol
                    2 bikes

'82 GS650G
                    '94 Katana 600

Comment

The problem with actual 110 octane fuels (any fuel over 100 octane) is that they contain excess oxygenators bound up in chemical form that release at time of burn. This produces two problems: more exhaust gases (hence more pressure before the exhaust valve opens) which accelerates wear & exceeds designed-for-compression-ratios (but is usually an issue only between 7200 - redline on the Kat engines, where compression ratios max out), and far more seriously, causes the burn to be significantly hotter, potentially damaging your piston faces.

Will it destroy the engine the first time you use it? Doubtful.
                      But use it even semi-regularly, and you'll probably be shopping for a new engine (or a new bike) by this time next year.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ok thanks guys that helps alot. On a similar note, even though the recommended octane is 91 on the bike, are you saying it will run better with 87 octane fuel?
                        1996 Katana 600

04 Headers
                        04 oil pan
                        Yosh rs-3 Slip-on
                        Factory Pro Jet Kit
                        Factory Pro Shift Kit
                        5 degree advancer

Comment

i just run 91 lots better

Comment

I always ran my kat with 93, which i carried over to my v-star, one day after reading a gas octane thread here I switched to 87 (in my V-*) To find I actually get about 15 more miles to a tank of gas using the lower octane so i'm staying with the cheap stuff in mine it seems to run ok with it and gets better mileage, score for me....thanks KR.

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Always wiser to spend your extra pennies on name-brand high-detergent, low-octane gas when it comes to the Kat (instead of wasting it on high-octane fuel); the engine's compression ratios just can't take advantage of the extra octane in any sense and high-octane makes less power-per-gallon...

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X