No announcement yet.
X

What do YOU know about fuel injection?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh hell, I just realized that I have a Cali model engine. And I did NOT block off those stupid lines under the header. Well, at least that explains the 5000 rpm idle! Out to the garage to make block off plates
    The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

• That, my friends, is awesome! Good work Steve! I've been glued to this thread for sometime.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

• Thanks!

On second thought, would these lines being uncapped cause a high idle? Are they sucking air in or pushing exhaust out? The bike is very loud as I need new exhaust gaskets (on order) so I cant really tell. Either way its bad news, as its probably throwing off the wideband.

Comment

• I'm not sure if that would cause the high idle situation, but I know you're supposed to block those off if you don't have it hooked up.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
          who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSteve View Post
            On second thought, would these lines being uncapped cause a high idle? Are they sucking air in or pushing exhaust out? The bike is very loud as I need new exhaust gaskets (on order) so I cant really tell. Either way its bad news, as its probably throwing off the wideband.
            Both pushing and pulling if they aren't blocked or connected to the PAIR valve -- air comes out of the holes as the cylinders drop and suck into the holes as they rise. Either way, since the valve covers have a hose connecting to the airbox, it's a huge vacuum leak.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

• I was hoping Cyber would see this and help out. I know he KNOWS those Cali models and where/what everything goes/does.

You da man, Cyber!

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
              who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

• Hey guys sorry for the lack of updates. I've been really busy lately and haven't had time to touch the Kat in about 3 days. I just fired it up again after closing those Cali ports and adjusting the idle screw. It's running really well, but ocasionally it loses the RPM signal and shuts off. I'd recommend against using the HEI unit (for simplicity) as thats whats causing my problems with this. Once it dies I can just tap the HEI and it'll restart like nothing happened.

I'm having some trouble getting the AFR right, its reading either off the scale rich or off the scale lean. Can't really find a happy medium. It's possible I mixed up the wires on the wideband, and hooked the narrowband output to the MS instead. I'll check.

And I got the clutch working too. Hopped on the bike, started it up, held both brakes and the clutch, kicked it in gear, and the clutch broke free. Thats a relief, I was beginning to think I'd have to open it up to fix it.

Well, the wideband is hooked up right so I think the RPM is just fluctuating too quickly for it to respond. I need to sync the throttle bodies, it seems some of them arent closing fully. If I can get all the trash out of the garage I might try riding around the block today
                Last edited by TheSteve; 06-12-2008, 04:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Well I determined the most likely cause of the strange afr readings. I haven't synced the throttle bodies yet, and I know theyre off substancially. Lightly tapping one of the throttle plates is enough to move the idle by a full 2000 rpm. Later i'll either order a carbtune or build something similar. The HEI problem was the ground coming loose. I still wonder though, because MS and the bikes tach are reading over 1000 differently. I want to believe the Ms more because if it was wrong the bike wouldnt run. I need to borrow my dads shop tach to doublecheck.

Comment

• I found a set of 4 dial type vacuum gauges for a total of 46 dollars. Theres also the famous morgan carbtune for about 108 I think. Which would you guys recommend? Is the carbtune actually that much better to warrant doubling the cost? Ive read that the dials bounce around too much to use easily, but is it really that bad? Id like to order one or the other today so I can get to riding this thing sometime soon. Im leaning towards the carbtune because of its reputation but the high price is making me look at alternatives. What do you think?

Comment

• I put my money where my mouth is -- I bought a Morgan CarbTuneII, used it for a couple years, then when it got lost coming back to me (I lent it to someone via mail), I ordered another one. Can't get a better endorsement than that.

Watch CraigsList too -- seen a couple of them offered lately, used, for half the price of the new ones.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

• Sounds good! I'll order it now

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                          I put my money where my mouth is -- I bought a Morgan CarbTuneII, used it for a couple years, then when it got lost coming back to me (I lent it to someone via mail), I ordered another one. Can't get a better endorsement than that.

Watch CraigsList too -- seen a couple of them offered lately, used, for half the price of the new ones.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          What he said... LOL

Google "Morgan Carbtune for sale" that's what I did. Found one on a Goldwing ( I Think) message board. Joined so I could email the guy, got the Carbtune II with pouch and all the stuff with it, in the plastic, never used for $100 shipped

Comment

• Ordered it from carbtune.com. Hopefully it won't take too long to arrive. Maybe I can try and sync it visually to see if I can at least get it to idle at the right RPM. Don't want to try riding it with that crazy high idle.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSteve View Post
                              Ordered it from carbtune.com. Hopefully it won't take too long to arrive. Maybe I can try and sync it visually to see if I can at least get it to idle at the right RPM. Don't want to try riding it with that crazy high idle.
                              The first time I ordered, it was here in 4 days. The second time in 8 days. So, figure it will probably take 4 to 8 days to arrive

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

• Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                                The first time I ordered, it was here in 4 days. The second time in 8 days. So, figure it will probably take 4 to 8 days to arrive

Cheers,
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                I've ordered two, and both times received it in less than a week (East Coast). My guess is to add 2-3 days for transit times across country here.
                                -Steve

sigpic
                                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                                X