No announcement yet.
X

What do YOU know about fuel injection?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im out in the garage, shes firing on all 4! Having trouble getting it to hold an idle, it dies the second it fires up from cranking. almost there. damn thing sounds MEAN lol. Back to work
    The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

• Sweet! Bet you are uber excited!!! I can't wait till you are done. Any idea what was keeping it from firing??

Comment

• Honestly I'm not sure. It smoked like HELL when it first started. There was probably crap in the cylinders with my luck. I've gotten it to start and stay running just a few times. While cranking itll start popping faster and faster when I get the mixture close to correct and sometimes with the right manipulation of the throttle itll start up. It'll die if I move the throttle much though, but it shows that everything does work. I think at one point it revved to about 6k really fast, but I snapped the throttle closed and it died. Just gotta figure out the mixture. I'll keep you posted

Edit: scratch that. I DO know what was keeping the MS from working right. Katanas dont have coolant temp sensors, so I left the CTS settings default. The default "warmup enrichment" is 0%, so I figured it was added in (100% normal + 0% enrichment = 100% total) but its actually the total amount. So with a default of zero the moment the engine breaks 750rpm (set cranking speed for now) it goes into warmup mode, or 0% fuel. Stupid. Set to 100% enrich and it works. Afterstart enrich might be the same way, but I honestly don't recall. I seem to remember it being opposite, so I need to look into that and try it as well.
        Last edited by TheSteve; 06-03-2008, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• I was going to say...before I read your edit...that it sounds like you aren't getting enough fuel in the lower RPM.

Comment

• Looks like afterstart enrich is additive, not a multiplier. So now I have warmup at 100, ASE at 40%, and cranking pulsewidths based on air temp. I'll head back to the garage shortly

Still doesnt explain why starter fluid kills it. Even if I spray a tiny amount in with the gas it completely floods it out
            Last edited by TheSteve; 06-03-2008, 08:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Another problem has surfaced. After cranking it for awhile then letting it sit, I seem to have no fuel at all. MS is showing injections, but sticking my finger in the throttle body shows I'm getting no gas at all. I think I might be getting vapor lock. The pump and filter are HOT. I think recirculating the fuel through the filter isn't allowing enough cooldown time for gas before its repumped. Looks like I need to redo that. Once the bike cools down I might play with it again, but I got almost nothing out of that trial. This does explain why I've been having trouble getting a constant cranking pulse. I'll start off low, richen it till it fires, and that setting will work for a few minutes. Then I try again and it wont do anything so I richen it some more until it finally goes. It then floods and the process repeats itself, but it always homes in on 1.9ms being optimal. I think the reason richening it grossly helps is because it then has a chance to purge all of the vapor since its flowing more fuel. Once the vapor is gone I can lean it out and itll work until the gas vaporizes again. I might try to put the return on the opposite side of the tank (by or on the level sender) for ease of plumbing and to aid in circulation.

At least I know it works though, minus a bit of troubleshooting and tuning

Comment

• Do you still have an open vent on the tank? If not, you need one. The cap should vent slightly, but it definitely would not be enough for a fuel pump. Remember, these tanks were designed for the fuel to flow out, and not be pulled out.

Comment

• Hmm. Theres that vent that goes from the top of the tank to the bottom but I think thats probably sealed with the cap closed. I'll try leaving the cap off. Any idea how to make a vent that would be suitable for this?

Comment

• Try running it with that vent open first. I have a VERY bad idea that I will only share with you if this doesn't work.

Comment

• Seemed to help a little. Theres definetly not any venting in there, you can hear air rushing when the cap is removed. How could I vent it without it being just a hole?

Comment

• That vent hole by the gas fill does not vent into the tank. It takes any water that gets around the cap down through the tank out the bottom to the drain hose to prevent water from building up around the cap and dumping into your fuel when you open it.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

• It seems that I'm not getting reliable injection for some reason. I think theres air in the lines or something. The injectors fire sometimes, but it's not consistent. This isnt a MS issue, its giving a valid signal. I think I'm going to have to redo the fuel lines.

Comment

• Here is my VERY bad information...This is only what I would do if I were in your situation. Sine the tank is double walled, use a drill with a drill stop, and drill more vent holes on the bottom of the tank.

Comment

• I have been doing a lot of reading today and haven't found anything about a vented tank. Unless it is just an obvious given for people used to dealing with fuel injection. The Kat tank is already vented to a point. Otherwise the fuel wouldn't gravity feed at all. I am not sure how or where it works, but it has to be. I found this webpage earlier today, and looking back at your pictures, I think a rearrange of the fuel lines might help.

Click on "Injectors and fuel supply" on the left column and then "fuel system supply" at the top.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                              who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

• Originally posted by 1SikKat View Post
                                Here is my VERY bad information...This is only what I would do if I were in your situation. Sine the tank is double walled, use a drill with a drill stop, and drill more vent holes on the bottom of the tank.
                                Double-walled gas tank? Huh?

Cheers,
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X