Carb problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb problems

Problem #1 (resolved already):

Every winter I drain my carbs and remove the drain screws. Upon reassembly this spring, when I primed the carbs, I found fuel dripping out of the screws of #3 and #4 cylinders. I pulled the carbs and looked in the holes and the threads appeared damaged. Perhaps there was dirt on the screws that damaged the threads, I am not sure.

Solution:
    I finally talked to a guy at Gust and Adolf's autoparts and he suggested Permatex "Indian Head Gasket Shellac Compound". It is similar to the gunk that forms in the carbs from evaporated fuel and is fuel resistant, yet will clean out with carb cleaner. I let it cure 2 weeks, (I was on the road anyway). It seems to be holding well, no leaks.

Problem #2, fuel in the oil (also resolved):

Somehow during the process, I got fuel in my oil. The bike quickly idled very high, so I shut it down and the oil was foamy. So I drained it and flushed out with cheap oil, than refilled it with good oil. I popped the tops off of each carb to insure that the floats were not stuck. Apparently the problem is also resolved because, the new oil is still clear after running the engine.

Problem #3 Idle problems

Upon initial start when cold, the bike starts right up and takes about 5 seconds to settle into a normal idle, probably around 800 rpm. However, after about 20 seconds when things start to heat up, the bike begins to idle very high. My RPM gauge is inop, so I am not sure of the idle speed, but it is at least 3000-4000 rpm by the sound, so again I quickly shut it down. The idle adjuster had no effect on idle speed.

My question is, where to start troubleshooting this problem? Throttle cables? Idle adjuster? Carb synch? It is an '04 600 with about 9700 miles. Never done a synch before but that is part of the plan. I just was hoping to get it running right now to put a few miles on.

ok, I just ran it again and the oil is a little cloudy, so maybe I do still have fuel in the oil? How do I fix a stuck float? Do I have to tear the carbs all apart, or is it something simple?
    Last edited by freight dog; 04-26-2008, 08:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

AS for problem # 3

I suspect you still might have a fuel issue. Open your oil cap and stick your nose in there. Does it smell like gas? It shouldn't. If it does your running real rich or the floats are stuck.

One thing you didnt mention is if you are using your choke when starting it when the idle races. If so, that will happen, you need to adjust your choke accordingly. If not, No choke, then I'd definately suspect your floats. Either they are set way off, shellaced or the o-rings arent sealing properly.

One thing you said that made me cringe was
    "Every winter I drain my carbs and remove the drain screws."

Draining the bowls is an ok idea, Leaving the drain screws out all winter is Not. I hope you generally dont pratice leaving the screws out all winter. :\
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

The first time I started it, I used choke, then turned choke off after it began to idle normally. After that, it started without choke.

What is wrong with leaving the drain screws out?

I have read on here about engines acting like mine, and Arsenic said he thought it needed new rings. Could I have done that kind of damage just running it about 30 seconds with fuel in the oil?

Comment

How many miles you have in your bike, is the first question and yes you can cause that kind of damage in 30 seconds
        Tecnico28

Comment

I would doubt that with only 9700 miles and 30 seconds running you have major damage unless your oil had more than a quart, for example, of fuel in it.
          If you had ruined your rings it probably would be very hard to start, you indicate it starts up well but idles wrong.
          You definitely would need to tear down the carbs if you have fuel in the oil unless you had a leaking petcock causing flooding. To check the petcock just pull off the fuel line with the engine off. There shouldn't be any fuel coming out of the tank when the petcock is not on "prime" and engine is off.

Comment

Is this with the choke on? There's probably just some dirt....
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Choke off. Fuel petcock definitely not leaking.

Carbs are out and coming down for a rebuild, plus fresh oil (again) to make sure I have all the fuel out. I am sure it wasn't that much fuel in the oil. A few ounces, 8 at the most I think. When I let it cool and restart it, it acts the same way, starts easily, settles into a normal idle and then idles high after warming up.

Thanks everyone for the responses.
              Last edited by freight dog; 04-26-2008, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Alright, after weeks of delays, I found out why my bowls are leaking. There are cracks in the bottom of the bowls from the drain plugs. Either debris or over tightening of the plugs caused the inside of the bowls to crack. So now I need new bowls. I have my eye on a set of 98+750 carbs on ebay. Apparently you cannot buy just the bowls from Ron Ayers and I am not spending $330 per carb for a new one.

If anyone has a source, I am all ears.

Comment

Send a PM to arsenic and ask him if he has a set of carbs to sell... if not, grab the ones on fleabay. And take it easy on those screws! It's all delicate stuff when it comes to carb screw tightening...

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X