X

engine problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine problem

I had my 89 600 running very well then I used some seafoam (of course I forgot to put a fuel filter on and about 20 miles into my next ride the bike started dieing (like the carbs were gumming up). As I pulled to the side of the road the bike was only running on 2 of the 4 cylinders. I trucked the bike home and cleared the carbs again. The carbs had some crap in them; however after cleaning and putting them back onto the bike the bike will not stay running and when it fires there is a clunk (like something is hitting on the top end). Could anyone give me an idea as to what the problem is? The carbs are now totally clean now but I don't want to keep trying to start the bike if I have bent something

Did it start making the clunking noise before it died? I doubt doing a carb cleaning would have affected anything in your top end. Where are you at, maybe someone here is close by and could stop by and help?

Comment

something hitting the top end, that aint good

Comment

I am in New Hampshire. Nothing sounded funny before it started to die, just felt like the plugs were fouling; however after pulling them they looked good

Comment

neither the plugs nor the carbs have anything to do with a clunking noise.

Comment

wonder if the timing chain jumped on the old girl? that can happen at any time on anything, not that its the most common thing to happen but it happens.
            sigpicMy Kat Barks Like A Dog!boof boof.

Comment

I say clunk but I am not sure. The bike will not run now. When it fire it souds like a one time hit of something then and as you give it gas it dies. Could I have bent something and what would that something be?

Comment

yeah, I'm thinking that may be the clunking noise. If that is the case, you've got MAJOR problems. Bent valves, it's an interference engine, if the timing chain is way off a piston will hit the valves.

Comment

the timing chain? I guess with that I could have damage the whole top end?

Comment

could have and that sucks

Comment

What would be the easiest way to check this out? Tear it down? or check valves first?

Comment

check the valves before you tear it all the way down, that is easy enough. and make sure that everything moves at least even if you dont know specks, ie..intake .10 exhaust .18 i think?

Comment

Let me ask this, if the timing chain let go or moved, would this make the bike feel like the plugs were fouling and cause the bike to die?

Comment

o it will cause the bike to die and potentially feel like plugs fouling cause when the timing chain jumps on anything it isnt firing when it is supposed to ie...halfway between when it was supposed to fire now it fires.

Comment

so check valves? if the valve a being hit by one or more pistons then what? If I had to guess the clunk type noise was on the right side #3 or 4 cylinders does this sound like a common area if the timing chain jumped?

Comment

Working...
                              X