X

How do you fine ajust the throttle cable

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you fine ajust the throttle cable

So, this will be a stupid and easy question, but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out what im doing wrong here.

cut to the chase: when i took my carbs off i replaced the throttle cable..after installing the new cable and putting the carbs back on the bike there is now too much play in my throttole..turns too much before actually pulling the cable.

i can see on the body of the carbs there is an ajuster that i can unscrew out...this helps..but when i do this the trottle cable becomes weirdly loose at the carb body end...it almost appears like it needs 1 more nut that could be loosened, then the cable could be ajusted then the nut could be tightened again thus locking your new "setting" in place.

I've looked at both the new cable and the one i removed, they are identical..and both only have 1 nut down near the carb body. there is no way to get any other nut on to the cable because the cable ends prevent putting that nut on.

I can't find anyone else stupid enough to be having the same problem...i need a sanity check pleeeeeaaassee!!!

thanks so much
    '96 600GSXF

I think the adjustment for throttle cable play is at the throttle grip end of the cable.
    The adjustment right after the cable comes out of the grip, on the elbow.

Comment

Originally posted by 97-Katana600 View Post
      I think the adjustment for throttle cable play is at the throttle grip end of the cable.
      The adjustment right after the cable comes out of the grip, on the elbow.
      That's fine adjustment.

You should do course adjustment at the carbs.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

That's fine adjustment ? Will this adjustment tightin up the slack when you roll on the throttle ? What I am looking for is more response ( ei ) quicker response when I roll on the throttle. Feels like I have around a 1/2" play before carbs pull in I want a little less than that .
        Last edited by waveman; 05-09-2010, 06:24 AM.
        sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

Pre Kats do not have an adjustment at the carbs. 1 nut on the end that goes on the bottom side of the bracket that holds the cable, and the threaded end of the cable is used to tighten the nut up and clamp it all down. Only 1 way to mount it, well... correctly that is.

All adjustment for the throttle is at the bar, as mentioned previously. What you should see is just as it comes out of the throttle, a curve metal tube threaded on the end, attatched to that is a nut, then a hex shaped tube. Loosen the nut by turning it towards the curved tube, then you turn the hex tube to adjust the throttle cable. Screw it "off" and you tighten things up. Once in place, tighten the nut again against the hex tube to lock in place.

Things to keep in mind when doing this.

1. Make sure you start the bike in neutral, and turn the handlebars both all the way left and right to make sure the RPMs do not change... or it's too tight.

2. Leave about 1/4" play (turn the throttle but not pull the cable). It generally speaking will almost always be too tight if there is no play at all.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

sorry to dig up the oldie... but i'm kinda on this spot... ok now I'm sure how the connection is made at the carbs (thanks krey)... just nut against nut on the hook bracket... but another doubt arised... on the throttle control at the handle there are two positions where I can slide the cable barrel... which one?
            Last edited by rarva; 07-21-2016, 06:33 AM.
            GSX 600f '88
            ------------
            Custom "Ricardo Amado" OEM Style Led Gauges | Gear Display OEM Style Mod | GSX400f Gas/Oil Temp OEM Style Mod | '94 BST33ST Carbs | '96 GSX750f Swingarm Mod | '01 GSX600f Wheels Swap Mod | R6 Competition Rear Suspension Mod | 15/49 Sprockets 525 Chain Conversion | Dyna Beads | '89 GSXR750 Cams

Comment

If I remember right...the first hole but, I always use a new cable. It may be possible to use the second with a worn cable. You have to remember that some common parts are interchangeable between bikes.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

oh damn... so... I lock it at the carbs nut on nut... to much slack! Had to use the first position on the handle... adjusted as far as possible on the bar... not perfect... still have a nick of slack I don't need.... but... well that's life! I have to live with it! thank you all
                GSX 600f '88
                ------------
                Custom "Ricardo Amado" OEM Style Led Gauges | Gear Display OEM Style Mod | GSX400f Gas/Oil Temp OEM Style Mod | '94 BST33ST Carbs | '96 GSX750f Swingarm Mod | '01 GSX600f Wheels Swap Mod | R6 Competition Rear Suspension Mod | 15/49 Sprockets 525 Chain Conversion | Dyna Beads | '89 GSXR750 Cams

Comment

Working...
                X