X

Calcium/White Powder from Weather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calcium/White Powder from Weather

well, Bikes been in the weather some and have some corosion(white powdery dust) on almost
    all the aluminium.
    A friend of mine told me to use tire acid/cleaner and watch out not to let it sit
    on the paint.

My question is, what do you guys use for engines that have been in the weather and what cleanes em up like new?

CLR?....leaving your girl out in the rain?? ~tisk tisk~

Comment

Stop taking your bike to meth labs? Seriously though, get a couple of rags and use some water and light dish soap to clean up the engine.

What would cause the white corrosion in weather? I can only think of battery acid and road salt.

Comment

well I had no choice but to have it outside for awhile.
        damn hurricane blew away my last place.

So it was under a cover for about a yr...and kinda close
        to the saltwater.

Comment

ding ding, i bet it's salt from the air living close to the ocean
          soap and water bud

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

next time you need to leave your bike under a cover for that long, apply a heavy coat of wax to all of the metal first (do not wipe the wax off). the wax will protect it from such corrosion. When its' time to come out of storage, simply wipe of the wax film and away you go with a nice shiny bike.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by amandabear View Post
              CLR?....leaving your girl out in the rain?? ~tisk tisk~
              here in FL or anywhere along the beachs, it doesn't have to rain. Just living on or near the beach, metals get a galvanized reaction due to the salt in the air.

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
              ding ding, i bet it's salt from the air living close to the ocean
              soap and water bud
              bingo
              Last edited by Mat0302; 04-17-2008, 10:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              myspace
              2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Aluminum always corrodes (the instant it hits air). This corrosion actually makes the surface harder, which is a good thing; the downside is that it makes it less effective at heat transfer & it doesn't look pretty unless controlled.

There are several metal-polishing compounds on the market that will remove the corrosion temporarily with quite a bit of elbow grease. Personally, I like BlueMagic for cleaning aluminum.

If it's a real eye-sore to you, you might want to have the parts in question professionally stripped and anodized instead.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Mothers Makes A Good Aluminum Polish ,just Put Some On A Rag And Rub It In ,it Will Polish It To A Brilliant Shine Just Like New
                  BONES HEAL ,CHICKS DIG SCARS ,PAIN IS TEMPPORARY AND GLORY IS FOREVER

Comment

Thanks for the tips all...moocho appreciation

Comment

Working...
                    X