X

removing crusty paint from tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing crusty paint from tank

Anyone know how to remove hard crusted paint from the inside of a fuel tank?
    2004 TRX45R fully built race quad MX and TT
    1998 Triumph Daytona 595T 955cc
    "To thine own self be true"
    TNT Billiards and Powersports

well first of all,why would anyone paint the INSIDE of the gas tank. I guess its for asthetics. Anyways, well first of all you need a kit that will remove all the bad nasties inside the tank, and yes, even paint, then proceed to a chemical neutralizer and then you shall use upon thine inside painted tank.....A SEALER!!!!! yamaha sells one, haven't used it, its favorited among here, and i've used the POR-15 kit on my 93 600 and it worked well. i just never figured out how or with what to plug the holes in mine tank(gas cap petcock and fuel level) look it up, i got mine off ebay, bt i'm sure someone else will give you their opinion
    Captain of Squad 11

Comment

It's not paint, it's either Kreeme or RedKoat brand tank liner (the color will tell you which it is).

The proper way to remove it is to get the POR-15 Heavy Duty Utility & Cycle Tank Repair Kit (link: http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=HDCTRK&dept=11 ). This includes the stripper that will remove the old coating that is flaking off.

Now why is it flaking?
      Because at some point in the past, someone found rust in the tank, tried to treat it (and didn't do a good job), then coated it with an inferior product, and now (a few years later), the coating is flaking off, probably with fresh rust underneath it that's keeping it from adhering well (Kreeme & Redkoat also don't hold up to heat/sunlight well).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

What a retard....lol I didnt mean paint..lol Total brain fart its a thin line of old fuel (I believe) its about 1/16 thick and its a redish color. I guess it could be that lining that you guys are talking about. I thought it was old gas.
        2004 TRX45R fully built race quad MX and TT
        1998 Triumph Daytona 595T 955cc
        "To thine own self be true"
        TNT Billiards and Powersports

Comment

Working...
        X