Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody here running this oil?

Just curious, anybody run this?

Petro Canada Duron XL sythetic blend. 10w/40 or 15w/40

The pdf (page 3) mentions it meets JASO MA for friction requirments.

or

Duron -E Synth 10w40
    pdf page 2 http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/re...76&language=en

Supposedly it is $23 for 4L for the XL syth blend, not sure about the Duron E cost.

If not does it sound OK? (Cyberpoet I'm looking @ you )
    Cheaper than the Motul 5100 semi-syn I run now & I can get it at the corner gas station.
    Last edited by tat2; 03-17-2008, 12:47 AM.
    Everytime a bell rings, an angel gets it's wings. Everytime a mouse traps snaps, an angels set on fire. - J. Handey

I would stay with motorcycle specific oil. Pretro Canada oil is designed for cars/trucks and I suspect not good for wet clutches.
    2005 GSXF750 Katana
    1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
    1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Comment

JASO MA spec'ed for wet clutches.
      93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

i used just plane jane havoline oil in my bike, runs like a champ, been doing it for years too several different makes and models of bikes, inlines, and v twins....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Here's an idea -- call them up and ask them!

Just a thought... Note that I'm running a 102 degree fever and sick as a dog...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Last edited by The CyberPoet; 03-21-2008, 11:10 PM.
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Oil in my opinion is a difficult choice for a motorcycle. I was going to switch to Amsoil , then I found this bit of information on their web site.

Wet-Clutch Compatibility (JASO T 904-98, limited review)
            It has been noted that motorcycle oils must be multi-functional, meeting the needs of both the engine and transmission. An additional concern is in those applications in which the clutch is immersed in the oil occupying the transmission. As the clutch is a frictional device and oils are by design used to minimize friction, concern arises over the impact the oil may have on the operation of the clutch. How an oil performs in a wet-clutch application is, in part, a function of its additive system. An oil should be free of additives such as friction modifiers that can dramatically alter the dynamic and static frictional properties of the clutch and result in clutch plate slippage. Wet-clutch compatibility is determined using JASO T 904-98 test methodology. This procedure determines the frictional characteristics of an oil and allows for comparison against a standard. That standard has two categories: JASO MA and MB. For motorcycle applications, the best performance is generally obtained when oils meeting the JASO MA specifications are used. The scope of this paper did not allow for the evaluation of all oils in this area. As such, results of the oils tested were not included in the overall product summary. The results provided are for interest only.

http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/...aper.g2156.pdf
            Last edited by Kfreak; 03-21-2008, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Interesting reading. I still prefer Amsoil and been using it for years in all my bikes. I think of it as insurance, pricey but worth it.

My .02 cents worth.
              2005 GSXF750 Katana
              1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
              1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Comment

Castrol makes a 4 stroke oil for wet clutches. Let's see if I offend anyone with that "C" word.

Comment

I am using Castrol 5w-40 in my bike, the shop said it is one of the better lubricants on the market. I noted easier starts, faster revs. I haven't used a drop or had to top off yet, the bike has 3400miles young!

I have thought about seeking out the amsoil brand syn oil maybe my next change, I know they make an excellent product!
                  Last edited by redrider; 03-22-2008, 06:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I was considering it until I found the Castrol. As long as it works.

Comment

Yea any good synthetic is costly but as already posted it is insurance for long engine life!

I use mobile one in my chevy tracker and don't regret the extra cost as it still runs great, and I hope for many more years to come
                      Last edited by redrider; 03-22-2008, 07:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Im running lucas 10w40 high performance race oil and i love it. when i went to lucas i noticed easyer shifts and better reves .

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
                          Castrol makes a 4 stroke oil for wet clutches. Let's see if I offend anyone with that "C" word.
                          In the USA, they market at least FIVE different 4-stroke wet-clutch oils for bike use (R4, GPS, RS VTwin, ACT/Evo, 4T), and every single one of them are fully JASO-MA rated...
                          I've been a firm castrol user for decades in general, although I will reach for Mobil 1 if I don't have any handy...

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I feel this is going to be an ongoing thread, never to end. As I was doing some research I came across a Mobil 1 web site. Is there a 2 T oil and isn't that for 2 cycle engines? Also I read that it was no longer being produced. I wish I can find the article to back up what I'm saying.

I found it! This was about racing oil.
                            Last edited by Kfreak; 03-22-2008, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Yeah, 2T is the industry-standardized term for two-stroke oil, so they're basically saying the US division of Mobil won't be offering their 2-stroke oil any more. Thank god Castrol hasn't jumped ship yet, or a lot of bike owners hoarding their two-strokes would be very, very upset (yes, there are other 2-stroke oils out there, but few that actually hold up well for super-high-rev'ving 2-stroke bike engines, and unlike a seized weed-eater motor, a seized 2-stroke engine while you're riding is no fun).

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X