X

WOW! weird solution!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW! weird solution!!

2 days a go I asked about some problems whit my Katana, after a research I found out that K&N filters where probably the ones causing problems, i decided to try something up, i covered every pod whit a baby sock, started the bike and toke har for a ride, no more problems!!! the bike responded 100% and more powerfull than before, so i think i will go back to the original airbox whit a suzuki air filter. NO MORE K&N!!! for me.

Wow. What brand sock?
    And what did the baby's mother think?

Comment

what was it sucking to much air? making it lean, hence loss in power? The carbs weren't jetted i bet...esp. if you have an after market exhaust

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Apparently the K&N does allow to much air through, causing a lean situation. I know that CP posted something about it a while back, but don't ask me where it is. I wouldn't even know what to search for.

Also, jetting really doesn't make a difference. Ivan's kits call for a stock airbox.
        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
        -Terence

Comment

Yes, she is not jetted, and does have an aftermarket exhaust, no doubt, i will fit again the original airbox

Comment

Originally posted by Carlos View Post
            2 days a go I asked about some problems whit my Katana, after a research I found out that K&N filters where probably the ones causing problems, i decided to try something up, i covered every pod whit a baby sock, started the bike and toke har for a ride, no more problems!!! the bike responded 100% and more powerfull than before, so i think i will go back to the original airbox whit a suzuki air filter. NO MORE K&N!!! for me.
            how is that a weird solution? I could have told you that.

Comment

Besides just being lean
              pod filters on the carbs allow turbulant air to rush directly into the carb at sharp angles and that causes **** poor fuel metering and inaccurate jetting. At the very least you need 2~3" velocity stacks on there between the carbs and pods to help straiten the air flow and speed up inatke air speeds.

but keep in mind the fact the K&N recommend foam pre-filters for their filter in dusty conditions because they allow so much dust through... you are best to keep the OEM air box on there.

The OEM filter/air box is not the bottle neck of the bikes performance
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

hardlydangerous is completely correct. The OEM air box and filter is NOT the problem of the intake system. I've heard a few people say they think the air box is retard, well, with that said, I think they're retard.

Comment

I like my pods. Then again, it has been jetted and has the exhaust to handle it.:mrgreen:
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

that and you don't have a Katana engine. The reason pods suck on a Katana is the IN cam lift duration.

Comment

I like my pods too:mrgreen:

I think the stock airbox is retard.....

Comment

i dont think its retard

so what is the problem with the intake system then chris?

Comment

the lift duration on the IN cam lobes. That is EXACTLY why you need to switch to GSXR cams.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou View Post
                            I like my pods. Then again, it has been jetted and has the exhaust to handle it.:mrgreen:
                            No doubt you like the pod filters but it's fact you make more usuable HP with stacks or an air box. The reason everyone usually feels a gain in top end is not because the engine is making more HP but infact the engine makes less at part throttle so the HIT seems harder.
                            The higher the intake velocity the more power the engine will make and don't think for a second that was not taken into account when designing the cam profile and cam overlap. With pods on the carbs you greatly lower intake air velocity and increase air turbulance.
                            Unless this is a flat out drag bike... it will make more usable HP with an air box.
                            Last edited by hardlydangerous; 03-01-2008, 03:33 AM.
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                              The higher the intake velocity the more power the engine will make and don't think for a second that was not taken into a**** when designing the cam profile and cam overlap.
                              you misspelled account!

IMO the Suzuki engineer spent 15 minutes designing the Katana air box, on a Friday, right before the department's annual visit by the Team Suzi Umbrella girls.. Who just had their clothes ripped off by a freak typhoon on the way into the building...

Comment

Working...
                              X