• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by icekillah
    according to the haynes manual you want

intake 0.10-0.20

Exhaut 0.15-0.25
    Be careful -- those are mm measurements and not equivilent inches, right?

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

oh yes my fault those are in mm's (Skid Mark bows down to the Vets on this forum) however if you get suckered into buying a SAE micrometer like me the conversion is 25.4 mm to 1 inch

Comment

Valve pics...

Here's what lies inside the sleeping Kat...
        Attached Files
        Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
        Katana

Comment

I'm guessing you took off the rubber seals at spark plug holes 1 & 4, not that they were missing, right?

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeppers...
            Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
            Katana

Comment

Ok, what is the best advice on the numbers posted? Will they get tighter or looser over time? In other words, which way should the numbers go or do they normally go? We took the two out and measured them and lucky for us can move one to the other and bring is into tolerance now. That leaves me needing one now. It looks like I need a 280 now to bring the other into spec. Now I just need to find the right shim.

Thanks,
              Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
              Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Paladin
                Ok, what is the best advice on the numbers posted? Will they get tighter or looser over time? In other words, which way should the numbers go or do they normally go? We took the two out and measured them and lucky for us can move one to the other and bring is into tolerance now. That leaves me needing one now. It looks like I need a 280 now to bring the other into spec. Now I just need to find the right shim.

Thanks,
                Could go either way...
                normally they get slightly loser over time with wear, and tighter with loss of carbon or sulfated ash build-up.
                Advice is to aim for the center value to the loose value instead of aiming for the tightest possible value -- too tight causes damages, too loose normally costs you some performance.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

After hunting around, calling, searching to no avail. I call back to a local dealer to see about ordering the shim. He puts me on hold and after some time comes back. "We have the shim you need, just bring in the other and we'll swap it out free of charge." I'm crossing my figers that this is so and will be pulling that little shim out and making a run to the dealer before they close. All goes well, I'll have the bike all back together in the next day or two.

8)
                  Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
                  Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Paladin
                    After hunting around, calling, searching to no avail. I call back to a local dealer to see about ordering the shim. He puts me on hold and after some time comes back. "We have the shim you need, just bring in the other and we'll swap it out free of charge." I'm crossing my figers that this is so and will be pulling that little shim out and making a run to the dealer before they close. All goes well, I'll have the bike all back together in the next day or two.

8)
                    Cool of the dealer, by all means

I know the last time I went looking for shims, they weren't readily available one-at-a-time, at least locally -- but that was many years ago.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Got lucky, just poped the shim in and looks like everything will work out. Going to pick up oil tomorrow and start putting the bike back together. Check you all later.

8)
                      Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
                      Katana

Comment

Ok, started putting all back and checking stuff out. We've pretty much got the whole bike back to start mode and only have plastics left to put back on. We figure it best to start up and check stuff out here.

Bike does not sound the same while starting. I can only say its different and perhaps draining the carbs and cleaning pretty much the outsides could be the reason. But I know enough that its way different in sound and does not feel or idle the same. Granted the bike is cold and has not been started in around a month (long project).

Suddenly we notice gas is leaking from somewhere and we kill the engine quick. At first glance it appears to be from around the airbox drain tube. Something does not seem right with that. We keep looking around and try to trace everything it could be.

We decide to give her another try and after reworking some of the hoses, mainly the Airbox drain hose was not where it was before. We work at starting again and notice the same rough sound and suddenly see gas coming from a hose. In tracing down this hose, it appears to be number 5 on the Carb schematic and is an Air Ventilation hose. This is from the hose on the side of the Petcock too.

Pretty much a fairly nice stream of gas is coming from this hose as we try and start the bike. Now the carbs have not been broken down and all was fine with them from the start. The only things I did was disconnect from the Airbox and pull from motor an cleaned on the outside. I did take the tops off check the insides and we did the same on the bottoms to check the floats. We cleaned them up, but kept each one togther with the others. I did not do a full brake down and rebuild on these and they were not in bad shape at all. Most grime on the outside.

So any clue as to what the cause of this could be? To the best of my knowledge, it does not appear to leak gas from the other hose. Could this be the cause of it sounding rough and not running right too?

Thanks,
                        Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
                        Katana

Comment

Working...
                        X