X

How long is too long?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long is too long?

I plan on switcing to synthetic oil, just bought 5 qts of Mobil 1 4t 10w-40 with a purolator filter and wrench.

anyways, how long should i let the oil drain for? I wont be riding anytime soon, so how long is too long for letting it sit and drain? i was thinking just let it sit overnight and throw the plug back in when i wake up.
    06' Zuki Katana 750
    Vance and Hines Slip-On

thats fine. There is no too long. You could leave the plug out until summer, it won't hurt anything.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
      thats fine. There is no too long. You could leave the plug out until summer, it won't hurt anything.
      hopefully you dont do that unless your in a really really clean place...dust and debris can get inside the motor if you leave the plug out until summer lol
      dude leave it out an hour tops....if your motor is warm it wont take 25 to 30 minutes to drain....(and thats over kill) my oil change took about 15 minutes to 20 minutes on my 2005 Kat...

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

what dust and debris are gonna fly up your plug hole and harm your engine?

Comment

Well i live in the country of FLORIDA....down a dirt road....you'd be suprised...when can get up in that hole lol

and i mean out in the country not the country of FLORIDA lol
          Last edited by whitecl0ver; 02-12-2008, 03:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

yeah, that true, dirt road can be nasty, toughs little pebbles are nasty.

Comment

also, would not being able to start the bike up affect anything?

I currenty have all the fairings off including the fuel tank.

normally i fill it, start it, cut it off, then top it off.
              06' Zuki Katana 750
              Vance and Hines Slip-On

Comment

yeah, thats the only issue I can think of

Comment

I live in Florida and leave mine out overnight commonly. It's amazing how an extra half liter of oil can come out as a result of that (group IV based oils are polar-bonded, meaning they want to cling to many metals; leaving the drain open longer simply lets more drain out). Without air moving into the oil pan at any speed (because it's a closed environment), I doubt leaving it out even in the worst dust will be of any consequence.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X