X

Oil Pump

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pump

How can I check to see if the Oil pump or the oil hoses are clogged?

Oil hoses you should be able to take off and force air through. No clue on the pump.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

oil pump - pressure check
      1. remove the fairing
      2. remove the plug at the bottom of the crankcase on the right-hand side and install an oil pressure gauge.
      3. start the engine and warm it to normal operating temp. Watch the gauge while varying the engine RPM. The pressure should stay within range.
      oil pressure (60 degrees C) - 2.97 - 5.86 bars
      if the pressure is too high, the relief valve or regulator is stuck closed.
      4. if the pressure is lower than standard, either the relief valve or regulator is stuck open, the oil pump is faulty, or there is other engine damage.

thats the test for the pre 98 oil pump. If you'd bother to fill out your garage I'd tell you the right test pre or post.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
        oil pump - pressure check
        1. remove the fairing
        2. remove the plug at the bottom of the crankcase on the right-hand side and install an oil pressure gauge.
        3. start the engine and warm it to normal operating temp. Watch the gauge while varying the engine RPM. The pressure should stay within range.
        oil pressure (60 degrees C) - 2.97 - 5.86 bars
        4. if the pressure is lower than standard, either the relief valve or regulator is stuck open, the oil pump is faulty, or there is other engine damage.

thats the test for the pre 98 oil pump. If you'd bother to fill out your garage I'd tell you the right test pre or post.
        Smoke comes out of my engine when I start to warm it up, All this happens while the choke is on and then the oil turns into a caramel color and it starts to bubble. What can it be? I just repaired a crankcase leak so can that be why it does that?

Comment

what color is the smoke? Oil isn't supposed to get frothy, thats bad.

Comment

smoke

The smoke is white in color.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
              In the bottom of the oil pan (inside, you have to drop the pan to check it) is a piece with white plastic that acts as the pressure regulator for the low-pressure side of the oiling system (which is what goes to the oil filter & oil cooler). If it gets blocked up by a chunk of metal, such as the aluminum typically worn away during the break-in procedure, it can interfere with the flow. Easy to check for...

Originally posted by revorider View Post
              The smoke is white in color.
              Smoke that's white has either water (condensation) or fuel in it; oil that froths as the engine heats up has water or fuel in it as well. Note that JASO-MA rated motor oils aren't supposed to froth at all and are the preferred spec for this bike. If the oil wasn't frothy, I'd suspect just water in the exhaust system...
              If it was parked off for a long time, it could just be condensation, in which case changing the oil is appropriate.
              On the other hand, if it wasn't parked off for very long, then it's probably fuel, and you need to address a couple other problems as well as changing the oil: bad petcock, stuck carb float.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

oil pump

The bike has been sitting for a while, so I think I will have to check the thing on the oil pan and maybe an oil change might do some good. If not, does that carb float cost alot to repair?

Comment

Usually the carb float issue isn't a "parts" issue that requires replacement parts -- it's an adjustment issue that simply requires labor and a very fine small ruler to do some measurements. Good details on how to adjust the floats are in the suzuki factory service manual (someone's posted a download link on KR - you can find a link to that thread in the "CyberPoet's FAQ for Newbies" thread in the FAQ forum).

There's also pics on my webpage here:

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X