X

Anyone with tank liner experience?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with tank liner experience?

My Kat had some rust in the tank when I bought it, and it's stubborn. So, anyone with any experience with tank liners?

Heck, if fiberglass resin is fuel-resistant, I could even just get a pint or so of that.

Do a search, I did a long write up as have others...

POR 15 and Kreem are the two biggest companies so search for those words and you'll get what you need

Comment

Bah. I searched, and turned up nothing but a few complaints about Kreem.

Guess I need to ditch the old methods and start scrounging through.

Comment

I have a ton of such experience over the years. And you'll find my write-ups here:
        CyberPoet's "How to deal with rust in your Motorcycle Gas Tank" (treatment methods, removal methods, sealing methods, pitfalls)

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have had good results from the electrlytic method. I recently did a tank on a 95 Yamaha Seca II that was not badly rusted, but had carb bowls full of rust powder, to the point that they were inoperative. In addition to cleaning the carbs, I derusted the tank electroltyically, and it is pristine inside.
          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

And I did the poor man's method a few times (bb's , carb cleaner , and Red Kote) with fair results .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
                I have had good results from the electrlytic method. I recently did a tank on a 95 Yamaha Seca II that was not badly rusted, but had carb bowls full of rust powder, to the point that they were inoperative. In addition to cleaning the carbs, I derusted the tank electroltyically, and it is pristine inside.
                I like that idea over the acid.. Been playing with various things here too.
                What method did you use? (link maybe)

For those who don't know;
                Using a car battery (or battery charger) You can get the rust to move from the part that is rusty to another part (piece of junk) depending on the polarity. (oh and chemicals in the tank.) The POR or Kreem method used acid to eat away the layer of tank containing the rust. And possibly right through the side of the tank..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                  The POR or Kreem method used acid to eat away the layer of tank containing the rust. And possibly right through the side of the tank..
                  The acids in these kits should only eat rust -- if they eat through the tank, that means the rust went all the way through to begin with. I'm pretty sure they're all simply phosphoric acids...

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The tank on my baby Kawi KE100 was badly rusted. My buddy that welded it up for me also did the acid etch tank treatment thing while he was at it. It worked great, but his comment to me was his Wife demanded he get the tank out of their attatched garage as it was stinkin up the WHOLE house. And i thought home perm kits were bad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
                    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

anybody ever try vinegar to remove rust from inside a tank?

Not sure if it would work, but it may be a cheap way to clean a tank, and then all you really need to spend money on is lining the tank. Not sure if it would work though, because in that link one one the steps is to scrub the part, difficult to do inside a tank. Just a thought though.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Never tried vinegar on a tank... I wonder... But then again, a tank is critical enough that I wouldn't go anything less than the best solution I could find (I don't want it rusting through under the sealant, if I use a sealant at all).

KNOW THIS:
                        The easiest way to keep your tank rust-free is to get in the habit of filling it up at a gas station before parking at the end of each day's riding. Most water finds it's way into the tank as condensation in the air space within the tank -- filling the tank full minimizes that airspace, and thus minimizes the amount of water that can condense out.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                        X