X

engine swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine swap

Hey all. I am in the process of swapping out my engine. I have an 88 600 and a 97 600. My question is is there any issues I should look out for when installing the engine from the 97 that I should watch out for. I already have the 88's out and was just taking a break and thought that I would ask.

Originally posted by crzzycraig View Post
    Hey all. I am in the process of swapping out my engine. I have an 88 600 and a 97 600. My question is is there any issues I should look out for when installing the engine from the 97 that I should watch out for. I already have the 88's out and was just taking a break and thought that I would ask.
    Dude - what's wrong with your 88?? And, why didn't you go after something bigger to drop into the 600 frame? I don't remember exactly, but I thought the 88's had the screw type valve adjusters and the 97 had the shims (screw-type are much easier to deal with).

I'm going to guess you're doing engine and carbs. Don't think you'll have any real issues. Though, I'd suggest taking the added time of swapping out the wiring harness and CDI while you're at it.
    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

The CDI and harness are the same. Yes 88 is screw 97 is shim.

Comment

I have the old second gear problem in the 88. I didn't go any bigger because I traded an old beat up truck for it. I really just wanted to get back on 2 wheels, it has been so long since I rode I was starting to get the fever.

Comment

It will be a straight forward and direct bolt on motor swap. Will you be changing carbs too? If not you will need to use the intake boots from the 88. Use an impact driver to take them off. I am not sure if the airbox boots are the same from 88-97 so if you are using the 97 carbs, you may need the airbox (or boots) too.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I am going to use the carbs too. I know that they are bigger and the bike it was is ran really strong. The guy I got it from said that the previous owner had some work done to it about 2 grand, but who knows. I do know that it seems to be faster than the 88. I would ride it but I think the rear section of the frame is twisted and it just don't feel right when you ride it

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
              The CDI and harness are the same.
              btw, I was going to swap the cdi and the harness but the harness is different at least the wires going to the controls. the cdi also is different, it has different plugs and more wires in it. I have a wiring diagram for the 88 does anybody have one for the 97. The manual I have only goes up to 93.

Comment

engine swap

good day gentlemen,
                im new to the cycle game just got into it for me and my son can do something together,i got a 2000 suzuki gsx600f katana with a blown engine, we want to know can we put a 2003 gsx6oof into it,would the harnesess be compatible or would it be something we couldnt do,help an old man out to get his sons bike workin,thx anybody

Comment

zeyroc, the CDI plugs would not be the same (they changed shape/format between '00 and '03). The older CDI and older wiring harness will work just fine with the '03 engine.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thx 4 the help,ill keep u up to date wher i get to

Comment

Working...
                    X