Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you ever have it were it ran well ?

tim

Comment

yeah I've been riding it since the begining of march without a problem.
      92 Katana 600 Project bike
      Some assembly required is my middle name!!!

Comment

That filter is either the OEM filter or an EMGO brand replacement. The brand should be somewhere on the filter metal or plastic. The Emgo flows more than the stock filter (and can result in too lean a condition on OEM jetted bikes).

Either way, the carbs aren't set to your bike's needs, and need to be adjusted. My guess is that you'll need to drop the main jets by a size, and possibly drop the needles by a clip location as well. Do the needles have four, five or six grooves in them? I ask because the different jet kit brands have different groove counts.

If you know which brand jet kit it was (is), you may also want to contact the manufacturer of the jet kit and see what they have to say about how to set it for your particular bike & exhaust.

Good Luck!
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ok so the ride home I stalled 3 times. Had problem starting it so I has it set to prime with the choke on. Got excited when it started and just took off. Not realizing the choke was still on, I thought the bike would stall if you give it gas with the choke on???
          Gonna look at the manual to check the choke settings since I rode home instead of the dealers. Figure since they can't look at it until next week I'll give it another try before taking it there.

Cyber there are 5 rings if I recall correctly, but I'll check again.

When you say drop the jets by a size are you refering to replacing the jets? I got the bike as is and didn't get anything extra.

Comment

Originally posted by Gear Dog
            Ok so the ride home I stalled 3 times. Had problem starting it so I has it set to prime with the choke on. Got excited when it started and just took off. Not realizing the choke was still on, I thought the bike would stall if you give it gas with the choke on???
            Gonna look at the manual to check the choke settings since I rode home instead of the dealers. Figure since they can't look at it until next week I'll give it another try before taking it there.

Cyber there are 5 rings if I recall correctly, but I'll check again.

When you say drop the jets by a size are you refering to replacing the jets? I got the bike as is and didn't get anything extra.
            If you leave the choke on for extended periods of time (more than about 30 - 60 seconds), it will foul the plugs in a way that is identical to the pictures you posts.

When I said jet sizes, the main jet is usually a 110 or 112 or a 115 or something in that area. Going down a size means replacing that jet in each carb with the next size down (i.e. - if you have a 115, go to a 112 or a 110 and see if it alleviates the issue).
            For more help understanding, visit trinc's web page, or specifically for 98+ you can also visit http://www.ricter.com/jetkit.html and for 88 - 97 Kats, you can visit http://771doug.netfirms.com/

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

cyber,

he's been running it since march without a problem. if it takes a little time to foul the plugs - now mid-april , if he replaced the plugs it SHOULD run another 1.5 months. the main jets are really only in the circuit from 6k-ish up to red line. with new plugs it should start & idle just fine.

i was thinking more that the choke was stuck on - fouling all 4 plugs would mean the initial set-up was wrong ( way wrong ) but the third clip is normal.

now he said it ran well with the choke ?

very odd problem.

i wonder what plug & what the gap is he's using ?

tim

Comment

NGK dr8es I think the gap was set at 26

Comment

NGK dr8es I think the gap was set at 26
                  could you being thinking backwards on the choke ?

chokes on when you think it's off, off when you think it's on.

tim

Comment

Forward off, back towards the arrow when on.

Comment

boy gear dog

fouling plugs but runs better on choke ( even richer ) & all four are running the same.

i'm just about out of idea's -

tim

Comment

me too that's why I took it to the dealer this morning. I was reluctant to do it but at this point I figured I would do more harm than good if I started ripping it apart. What really sucks is there is a 5 day turn around because the season just started.

Comment

me too that's why I took it to the dealer this morning. I was reluctant to do it but at this point I figured I would do more harm than good if I started ripping it apart. What really sucks is there is a 5 day turn around because the season just started.
                          we aren't trained mechanics - we do what we can and pay when we can't.
                          keep us posted on what the problem turns out to be.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                            cyber,

he's been running it since march without a problem. if it takes a little time to foul the plugs - now mid-april , if he replaced the plugs it SHOULD run another 1.5 months. the main jets are really only in the circuit from 6k-ish up to red line. with new plugs it should start & idle just fine.
                            Agreed. But here we have plugs that are telling us he's running rich... Really rich, based on how fast they loaded up... And I don't know how much riding he got in during those 1.5 months compared to how much he's doing now...

Originally posted by trinc
                            i was thinking more that the choke was stuck on - fouling all 4 plugs would mean the initial set-up was wrong ( way wrong ) but the third clip is normal.

now he said it ran well with the choke ?
                            Now I'm starting to suspect the choke cable is binding in the sheath, not retracting all the way... Or broken in the middle and binding from that point down to the carbs.

Q: How hard is it to open/close the choke? A new choke cable is less effort than bending a thin paperclip...

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

been taking it to the train everyday which is like 25 miles round trip. So it was over 500 miles before it started acting up. As for the choke I only started using it when it was acting up. Usually the bike starts up on the first try with just a blip of the throttle. As for it binding it feels smooth as far as I can tell.

I'm loving all of the feed back, makes me wish I would have kept it over the weekend to fiddle with it some more.
                              We need to set up a web cam diagnosis site. This way you can see what we are looking at and you can say "not that screw you idiot"

Comment

Well the choke works fine, when I shut it off the rpm's drop to like 1k. The filter looks OK, But I'm not sure if it is stock or not. It looks like a K&N but a different color. I was tempted to clean it and spray it with the K&N oil. The only reason I didn't was I didn't want to cause another problem diagnosing another
                                Here is the filter
                                I just got my K&N Air Filter today and the one you have pictured looks like the stock filter that came out of mine. Well I'm guessing mine is stock. I'm really thinking they did nothing but change the oil and perhaps the front pads. Nice thing is I know all the changes that I'm making to it.

Here is what my K&N looks like...
                                Attached Files
                                Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
                                Katana

Comment

Working...
                                X