X

Petcock to tank leaking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock to tank leaking

Hi guys, I replaced the petcock last week and it's working fine now, except, I have a fuel leak between the petcock and the tank, I replace the large oblong ring and cleaned the site wear it would go, aand the screws are definately tight. Am I forgetting somrthing or did I just get bad petcock seal.
    sigpic

how are the fuel lines from the pet cock to the tank. What year and CC's? Did you get the petcock on ebay?

Comment

Nope brand new OEM petcock, 2002 / 600 Kat; did that so I wouldn't have any issues.
      sigpic

Comment

yeah, if you bought it brand new, if there is something wrong with it, it's a defect and you should get another for free. I'm pretty sure there isn't anything wrong with it though.

Comment

Like I said I thought I did it right it's so simple I can't understand what could of gone wrong. Maybe it's got a bad oring guess i'll take it apart again see what I can find.
          sigpic

Comment

are you sure the hose and clamped to the Peck cock

Comment

Be nice to know EXACTLY where it's leaking from ..... Dry it all up , then dab at it with a paper towel to see if you can find the leak . Until then , you're just chasing your tail .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

yup

Comment

Took it off this morning. It was definately leaking were the tank and petcock meet. When i took it off the ob-ring was an 1/8th of an inch bigger than the channel it's supposed to fit in. I can't figure why I didn't notice it when I put it together . Now I need to find a new O-ring? At least it's not a big deal. Any one know were to get an o-ring is that a dealer stock item?
                  sigpic

Comment

#2, but you'd have to pay $9 shipping on that, get it from your dealer. And you bought a new petcock and that was wrong, so you should get a new one free of charge.

Comment

yeah but I got it online so I'm not sure it's worth the hasle of trying to get it. Just go to the dealer and pick one up.
                      sigpic

Comment

yeah. OEM part # 44348-49170. Chances are they'll have to order it, but they'll get one.

Comment

Did the o-ring come with the petcock or did you reuse the old one?
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

came with the new one, tried rescuing the old one today to fix temp, didn't work to well.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'd suggest coating the replacement with red rubber grease if you have some or with some vasoline if you don't (it'll extend the lifespan on the o-ring). Good luck!

Still weird that the o-ring that came with the petcock was the wrong size

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X