• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

man, my pre is makin the same noise
    95 suZuki katana
    Autozone rattlecan MoD

Comment

what year KY 1995 right? Shim valves suck big time, thats not a do it yourself thing. The 600 was shim valves between 1992 and 1997. Try the cam chain spring first like CP said, although I have never seen that go bad, not saying it don't, obviously it does CP has pictures of it. If that don't help, time to bring your bike to the shop, I won't even do shims without access to a master set of shims.
      Last edited by arsenic; 12-20-2007, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Try running a couple tanks of super. My bike makes valve noise when I run regular.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mmikebaxter View Post
          Try running a couple tanks of super. My bike makes valve noise when I run regular.
          Mike
          your engine is meant to run on 87, filling up with super does 0, thats all in your head.

Comment

cp, how much are they and what do they do lol

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
              your engine is meant to run on 87, filling up with super does 0, thats all in your head.
              It ain't in my head makes a big difference
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                cp, how much are they and what do they do lol
                I don't remember the price off the top of my head, but under $20 delivered.

There is a chain that connects the crank at the bottom of the engine (that the pistons push down against to rotate) to the cams at the top of the engine (that control the valves opening). To keep this relationship from getting out of sync as the chain ages, stretches, and flings outward at different RPM's, there is a guide on the backside of the engine to keep the chain under tension (takes up any slack). The guide is pushed on by a button that is in turn pushed on by this spring. If the spring gets weak with age/use/heat/etc., there isn't enough tension on the chain and the relationship between the crank and cams can drift -- the common first symptom is a sound that is almost always referred to as sounding just like a singer sewing machine.

Originally posted by mmikebaxter View Post
                It ain't in my head makes a big difference
                In the US, 87 octane is the optimal gas for any stock Katana engine; if you are running higher octane and believe that you are getting any benefit from it, one of the following must be true:
                (A) The higher octane fuel contains more detergents and the detergents are giving you the benefit (not the fuel itself); using a higher detergent, better brand of low-octane would benefit you more in this case;
                (B) The engine has a lot of carbon build-up, and the higher octane is masking other problems from an engine in very poor condition;
                (C) The benefits are strictly imaginary; OR
                (D) The engine has been reworked with a WiseCo conversion kit to give it both higher-than-stock displacement and (the important part) higher-than-stock compression ratios, and thus is no longer stock in any sense.

87 octane contains more punch per gallon than higher octane fuels, and the engine in the stock Kats (with their low compression ratios) can not exploit any advantage of the octane difference of higher octane fuels.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Last edited by The CyberPoet; 12-22-2007, 12:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost; remove first signature on merged posts
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

don't even try the my engine is a Canadian model crap because the compression ratio that CP is talking is exactly the same US and Canada.
                  pre and post 600 11.3 : 1
                  pre and post 750 10.7 : 1

Comment

So, are Post-98 and Pre-98 the same?

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    While you are at it, I highly suggest replacing the cam chain tensioner spring assembly, based on your reports of the sounds. It's a cheap part to replace and if the old one is defective (see pic below), will make a significant difference.

Pre-98 Tensioner Spring, Upper is new, lower is old & bad

PS - I have the spring & gasket here.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by yeemartin View Post
                      what are you asking about?

Comment

Originally posted by yeemartin View Post
                        When it comes to cam chain tensioner springs, no. The 98+ gets a new design of tensioner spring that is a different length (shorter) and from what I understand stouter windings as well, to address the failure rate issue they had in the pre-98's.
                        But if your 98+ starts sounding like a singer sewing machine (literally), the fix is the same, just the part looks different.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have a sneaking suspension that spring changed on the 96 600. A lot of 98+ changes went in to effect in the 96 600, I think that might be one, I can't prove that, I don't know. Ah huh, just looked at the factory microfiche, not the Ron Ayers microfiche. The factory microfiche shows the cam chain adjuster for the 600 changed in 96, I knew it.
                          Last edited by arsenic; 12-24-2007, 12:04 AM.

Comment

thanks!

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                            When it comes to cam chain tensioner springs, no. The 98+ gets a new design of tensioner spring that is a different length (shorter) and from what I understand stouter windings as well, to address the failure rate issue they had in the pre-98's.
                            But if your 98+ starts sounding like a singer sewing machine (literally), the fix is the same, just the part looks different.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet

Comment

is it a difficult install? (cam springs)

Comment

no, it's really not

Comment

Working...
                                X