Tools needed.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools needed.

Hello all.

I'd like to know if someone here could post, better yet, even place pix of the tools needed for:

- Valve adjustment.
    - Carb synch.

Only the specialty tools needed, assuming all plastics have been removed.

Thank you.
    2000 Suzuki Katana 600 (Cryogenic suspension)
    2002 Kawasaki Vulcan (Gone)
    2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 (Gone)
    2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650.

For the valve adjustment just some standard sockets to remove the gas tank and the coils and frame crossmember, allen wrenches to remove the valve cover, and while not required there is a suzuki tool that I bought to do the valve adjustment (it's only about $7 or something) and a wrench for the valve adjuster nut.

2002 Katana 600
    1999 Ford F150

Comment

not true dude, you need tappet feeler gauges to do a valve adjustment also. To do a valve adjustment on a 2000 600 you need a .005" and a .008" feeler gauge. And a morgan carbtune II for a carb sync. There are a million tools that would make that easier, but those are the specialty tools you need.
      Last edited by arsenic; 12-14-2007, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Yeah that might help haha, I left the most important tool out

2002 Katana 600
        1999 Ford F150

Comment

While you're in there , be sure to loosen & re-torque the head bolts . ON a bike with miles like YOURS has , any little thing you can do .....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

lets be correct here, there aren't cylinder head bolts, there's cylinder head nuts, BTW I'm awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
              .............ead nuts, BTW I'm awesome!

Sorry for my s h i t t y english, but i'm danish.

My bike... http://kortlink.dk/4dsu
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
                lets be correct here, there aren't cylinder head bolts, there's cylinder head nuts, BTW I'm awesome!
                yep you're awesome nuts you're correct C

mmmm reading the above I guess it needs some comma's....

Comment

OK, so for specialty tools it seems that I need:

.005" and a .008" feeler gauge. And a morgan carbtune II for a carb sync.

Right? Anything else?
                  2000 Suzuki Katana 600 (Cryogenic suspension)
                  2002 Kawasaki Vulcan (Gone)
                  2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 (Gone)
                  2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650.

Comment

The CyberPoet sells these: OEM VALVE TAPPET TOOLS 10 IN STOCK!
                    Suzuki OEM Valve Tappet Adjustment Tool, 89-06 Kat 750's, 98-06 Kat 600's, $7.85 delivered in the USA via 1st class mail, $8.75 everywhere else.

Well worth it for $9 and takes the hassel out of doing the job. I ordered one from my local suzuki dealer and they'd never seen one before
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

yes I agree that valve tappet tool, while not a must have, makes things way easier.

Comment

I'll add some high temperature sealant to the list just in case you have issues with the valve cover gasket. Also, some electrical cleaner and dielectric grease for all the connectors would be a good thing too.

My '05 750 ignition advancer took a 19mm socket. I wouldn't necessarily call that a specialty tool, but the job is much easier with the right size socket.

Comment

It's regular RTV, I have the Suzuki sealant and it's regular room temperature vulcanizing silicone. And while a 19mm anything will work a 19mm box end wrench is technically what you want if you're getting special tools for that. Yes sealant is a must, you're supposed to add sealant anytime you take the valve cover gasket off, clean the old sealant off and put new sealant on.
                          Last edited by arsenic; 12-14-2007, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I have posted a full tool list for the job here before... Meanwhile, I saw your post about taking it to the dealer after not taking the throttle lines off (nor swinging the carbs off to the side). If you decide to go after it yourself again, let us know.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'll also throw in... that you should examine your sockets... and if they are 12 point sockets, get a set of 6 point sockets as well.

The 6 point sockets are much less likely to round off something.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X