X

Fuel in Oil... How to get rid of it???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grumpyoldgit View Post
    If your bike has a K&N filter and is running OK, I would suspect you already have a jet kit installed?
    Got the K&N given to me for free. Bike is stock - hence no jet kit.

Do you think the bike shouldn't be running "OK" with only the K&N Filter installed? What should I look out for?

Comment

I haven't heard of any issues with K&N oil filters in general

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        My bike has a K&N AIR Filter - not a K&N OIL Filter. Do you see any problems with this type of air filter?

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
          Don't be fooled into the "loud pipes save lives" crap . Sound travels BACKWARDS away from the can , and most drivers with their windows up and music cranking/cell phone stuck to the ear STILL ain't gonna hear you coming regardless . You'd be better off with more lights , louder horn , and better reflexes .

Hear, hear! No pun intended...
          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Lol I was just about to re-read the whole thread when I saw this

Originally posted by bjcrown View Post
            My bike has a K&N AIR Filter - not a K&N OIL Filter. Do you see any problems with this type of air filter?
            If you read this site for long enough you kind of get the feeling that 'those in the know' (i.e. not me) generally feel that stock is better than K&N AIR filter
            Last edited by grumpyoldgit; 11-30-2007, 11:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

Originally posted by bjcrown View Post
              User experiences with the K&N Air Filters vary, depending on which generation Kat, what level of jetting, bore-over/compression-changes & exhaust modifications the bike has, and which form of K&N air filters we're talking about.
              IMHO, for a stock engine: the OEM air filter with the OEM air box provides the best filtration (bar none), and the easiest time matching jetting (for proper fueling), provides the least amount of headaches.

The thing most people fail to realize when they first install a K&N is that the change in filtration method (sticky-with-oil cotton gauze) will reduce the amount of vacuum the engine can build at the carbs, thus changing the fueling at idle (because all fuel is delivered via vacuum suction on the CV carbs the Kats use). K&N provides restrictor donuts to fit into the opening of the airbox when using their air-box filters on the Kat -- but (IMHO on a stock engine) if you are going to restrict the intake to try to raise the vacuum at the carbs, why bother using a filter that doesn't filter as well in the first place? The only time it makes sense to me is on a pre-98** in conjunction with aftermarket headers that flow significantly more exhaust out, to permit more intake at the same time; they include a specific donut for this configuration, although re-jetting is still mandatory.
              ** Footnote: 98+ models have not been shown to gain any significant power (i.e. under 1 HP) from moving to aftermarket headers, and thus (IMHO) it makes little or no sense with these engines at all.

Generally, it goes something like this:

Pre-98 (600 & 750):
              K&N in-airbox filter: minor performance improvement at the cost of minor filtration loss at higher RPMs. Some jet tweaking desirable in conjunction with it, but not absolutely necessary *if* you are using the right restrictor donut on the air-take side of the filter (but if you're going to choke the intake to make up for stock, why bother changing filters to a less-effective filter in the first place?) and stock-sized exhaust header solutions.
              K&N dual-Pod filters (1 filter covers 2 carbs, 2 filters): intended only use in conjunction with aftermarket headers (complete aftermarket exhaust systems) PLUS a full rejet. This is intended primarily for people who race their bikes (drag, etc.) and who value extra power in specific RPM ranges (typically street racing) over smooth power through-out the entire rev-range (typical street rider use). Nightmares getting these jetted correctly across the complete RPM range abound and many KR members have reported going back to stock after trying to get these jetted perfectly without success. Results vary with different brands of exhaust headers because of differences in designs.
              K&N single-Pod filters (1 per carb, 4 filters): intended only use in conjunction with aftermarket headers AND some form of bore-over [displacement/compression ratio change] kit PLUS a full rejet. This is intended primarily for people who race their bikes (drag, etc.) and who value extra power in specific RPM ranges (typically track racing) over smooth power through-out the entire rev-range (typical street rider use). Like the 2-carb-per-filter pods, nightmares getting these jetted correctly across the complete RPM range abound and many KR members have reported going back to stock after trying to get these jetted perfectly without success. Oddly, these seem to have fewer issues than the other form of pod filters, even without any engine bore-over kit use.

98+ (600, 750):
              K&N in-airbox filter: No performance increase on the dyno over the stock filter. Some jet tweaking desirable in conjunction with it, but not absolutely necessary *if* you are using the right restrictor donut on the air-take side of the filter (but if you're going to choke the intake to make up for stock, why bother changing filters to a less-effective filter in the first place?) and stock-sized exhaust header solutions. Specifically NOT recommended by both Ivan (of Ivan's Performance Products) and Marc (of FactoryPro fame).
              K&N dual-Pod filters (1 filter covers 2 carbs, 2 filters): mail me $200 to $500+ you'll spend on dyno-time and shoot yourself in the foot now -- it'll be cheaper, easier and less-painful in the long-run. No one has ever reported being able to get these to run correctly (i.e. - permitting fueling of the carbs reliably across the entire RPM range from idle to 10k) on a 98+ stock engine with any form exhaust (aftermarket or OEM). We've had several try for months (in one case a year) on end, including a couple guys who spent literally days on a Dyno & exhaust analyzer with various jetting trying to tweak the carb fueling so that it wouldn't flat-spot in one RPM zone AND foul plugs at some other RPM zone, only to give up and go back to stock.
              K&N single-Pod filters (1 per carb, 4 filters): pretty much same as the two-carbs-per-filter above, although there have been sporadic reports that people have gotten it to work (note: all the positive 4-pod reports on the 98+ have always been from squids/newbies who didn't have the experience to necessarily know whether it was better than the results they would have gotten without the pods given a good jetkit).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Update:

Just over 1 month ago, I worked on the bike to try to solve my "oil in fuel" problem. Guess what, I fixed it!!!

I drained the carbies (twice for good measure) and that seemed to have fixed it. I also openedd my header pipes and removed the weldings.

Now, I'm going to adjust the valve clearances, put on a slip on yoshi exhaust and possibly install Ivan's jet kit (hopefully CP can supply me one!). Oh, and revert back to the OEM air filter!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

Working...
                X