X

Can't find petcock information...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find petcock information...

For all you Kat 750 owners please tell me what the positions are for the fuel petcock. I can't find the information I need on this subject. This is one area I never paid attention to.

Comment

I got the message. what does prime do for me?

Comment

Fuel flows without vacuum.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Understood. Any special time to use the feature?

Comment

When you've drained the carbs and need to refill them.

Comment

That's the simple stuff that I can't grasp. Understood though.

Comment

Full explaination of the way the petcock works internally here (with diagrams to make it simple to grasp):

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
                  Understood. Any special time to use the feature?
                  if you have it on prime, fuel flows by gravity into the carbs. this is helpful after winterizing or performing maintenance on the machine, in order to 'prime' the carbs and start the bike initially. in the other positions, the fuel cannot flow without the engine running

it is never a good idea to keep the petcock on prime for long
                  Last edited by catfish; 11-12-2007, 10:52 AM. Reason: technical
                  1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    Full explaination of the way the petcock works internally here (with diagrams to make it simple to grasp):

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    It can't find that thread... Do you mean http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49544 ?

/kiba
                    find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

No, I meant
                      Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                      From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                      this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      Let's see if I can make this petcock thing make more sense for you.

Behind the pick-up screens (green in my pictures) are two tubes, one short (the reserve/prime tube) and one tall (the standard ON tube).

The petcock acts as a three position switch comprising two pick-ups and two fuel passages.

In position "ON", the system selects the taller fuel pick-up tube, and routes it through a passage that only gets opened by engine vacuum pulling a rubber diaphram open (the rubber diaphram is normally held closed by a weak spring).

In the position "RES", the system selects the shorter fuel pick-up tube, and routes it through the same passage with the vacuum diaphram.

In the position "PRIME", the system selects the shorter fuel pick-up and shunts the fuel through a straight pipe that by-passes the vacuum diaphram.

The engine doesn't produce sufficient vacuum to open up the diaphram until the engine is turning at least 500 RPM or so. This vacuum is created by the intake valves to the cylinder opening while the piston is moving downwards, which causes the air to be sucked through the carb (which is also where the vacuum pick-up is located). When the engine isn't spinning, there is no vacuum in the line to the petcock; as the starter turns the engine, it produces low levels of vacuum, and once it fires (sucessfully catching), the vacuum levels climb.

Since the carbs normally had fuel when you shut the bike down, there is normally no immediate need for additional fuel flow at start-up, unless the fuel in the carbs has been evaporated or emptied somehow. Thus, the fact that the petcock is in the ON or RES position when you start is normally irrelevant because there's enough reserve in the carbs. Once the engine starts, fuel will start flowing through the petcock and refilling the carbs as their levels drop. In cases where the carbs are empty or low on fuel for whatever reason, it makes sense to use the PRI (Prime) setting to flow fuel to the carbs to refill them before trying to start, then to switch back to the ON or RES position.
                      Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i can't remember witch way is witch!!!!

i think that i had it on prime the other day... only for a mile or two but i may have to label it some how...
                        or maybe i can remeber the when the arrow is down its on (i got that) when the arrow is forward ive got to GO FORWARD TO A GAS STATION and when the arrow is back i'm getting back on the road after i dump the bike...

is that right???
                        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                        Tony
                        94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                          or maybe i can remeber the when the arrow is down its on (i got that) when the arrow is forward ive got to GO FORWARD TO A GAS STATION and when the arrow is back i'm getting back on the road after i dump the bike...

is that right???
                          That's basically right. Or you could laser-print a decal on a clear label and stick it next to the petcock and never forget... Heck, the OEM label is only $11.... Suzuki PN 44395-08F00

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X