No announcement yet.
X

Just picked up bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what the front axle spacing is, so I can't suggest other forks that will cross-reference fitment and add more features.

I run Ohlin fork springs in mine (about 18% stiffer than the stock's stiffer main spring section; the stock spring is a dual-rate spring, the ohlin a single rate). I'm quite content with the results paired with an Ohlin rear shock and bi-annual oil&seal swaps.

A few Kat guys have gone to RaceTech (rachtech.com) to get custom spring-rate springs for theirs, as well as cartridge emulators for inside the forks. If you're really planning on pushing the bike hard as a track bike, or weigh in above about 240, the racetech solutions are probably what you should be looking at -- but you really need to match it to a stiffer rear shock to get the benefit.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have Progressive fork springs with the PVC spacer mod, those are a lot cheaper than RaceTech springs. The PVC spacer mod also stops the damper rod from bottoming out, so the cartridge emulators are not needed.

Comment

there's a ton of things you can do to the suspension. The stock Katana suspension sucks large farm animals. I have a GSXR rear shock rebuilt by racetech, 98+ rear suspension and swing arm on a pre. Custom made lower links that are 1 1/2" lower so since the 98+ swing arm is 1 1/2 longer, the 1 1/2 lowering links put that at about stock pre 98 height. For the fronts I have progressive fork springs with the PVC spacer mod. Again, think I know what I talking about?

Comment

Took the carbs off yesterday as the #1 and 2 carbs were flooding. PO said they were Bought off of Ebay, cleaned and installed by someone. Bowls looked like someone had poured rust in them. Cleaned them out, installed inline fuel filters, and reinstalled. It has been rejetted, but my question is there are rubber plugs which look like they cover a jet (pilot?), are they supposed to be there?

Comment

One thing I noted, I took a look at Ron Ayers for your model year and theres three specific different types of carbs, The first two do not contain the rubber plugs, However the last one that contains multiple other models of carbs DO have the plugs.

Since you said some of the carbs were from Ebay, it might be two with the plugs and two without. Dunno how this would throw a wrench into things, But I just wanted to point out that they came both ways for your year. Check out the fiche (http://www.ronayers.com) and on the last one note part # 35 is a rubber plug, but in the other models, its the jet.

Food for thought.
            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

What do you think arsenic? How can I tell what year the carbs are off, and what will the rubber plugs do? I can already tell these carbs are going to need to be cleaned at least 1 or 2 more times. If anyone has a set they would like to trade for a little cash, let me know. Cleaned them again today. Now it won't take any gas, but idles with the choke on. Will take them off again tomorrow, and reclean again.

Comment

okay the 88-89 carbs have different slides then the 90-97 carbs. Do you have shim type valves or screw type valves? If it's an 88 you have screw type valves. Is the vacuum ports to sync your carbs on the intake manifold? You can tell a ton by the intake manifold. The 88-89 are BST31SS the 90-97 are BST33SS.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016
                  okay the 88-89 carbs have different slides then the 90-97 carbs. Do you have shim type valves or screw type valves? If it's an 88 you have screw type valves. Is the vacuum ports to sync your carbs on the intake manifold? You can tell a ton by the intake manifold. The 88-89 are BST31SS the 90-97 are BST33SS.
                  Not only different slides, but different fuel feeds (single vs. double fuel feed lines), and different opening sizes (the number in the Mikuni part # is the opening size in MM -- BST31SS for example is a 31mm carb, while BST33SS is a 33mm carb).

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

very true, I guess that would be a super easy way to tell, 1 or 2 fuel lines. The pet cock is different to.

Comment

I know it has 2 fuel lines, It looks like the carb sync ports are on the carbs themselves, with loops between the manifolds. I will try and take pictures today to post and see what you guys think.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016
                        okay, funny you should say that the 4-1 exhaust breathes better, the full exhaust has nothing to do with how it breathes out, at all. The constriction point is in the collector, with a full exhaust your not changing that. So go ahead and see for yourself but before you waste your money on a K&N filter, just know it WILL NOT WORK. Go ahead and talk to me like I don't know what I'm talking about, go ahead, this isn't my opinion, this is fact.

You seem like a smart guy with alot of good info, but talking to people like they are "lower" then you are b/c you are a Suzuki Tech is just plain being a jerk.....

Comment

I totally agree with you TBFGhost, I apologize if I've offended anyone.

Comment

And you want them plugs in there . They stop fuel from going straight through the pilot jet without first going through the mains . It's a metering thing . Without them , you suck WAY too much fuel through the pilot jets .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Still don't know what year they are, but got them sorted out. My old bike had the VM's on it, and they were alot simpler. When I blew out the mains, I still had the tops on, and blew all the needles up and out. Didn't run too well like that at all. Cleaned my tank out, so hopefully the rust issues will stay at bay with the inline filters. Does anyone here run VM's or flat sides?

Comment

Working...
                              X