X

another idle problem, might be different then other threads

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another idle problem, might be different then other threads

no matter wat i do i cant get the idle right. i warm up the bike and go for a 5 minute spin and then adjust the idle to around 1100- 1300k

but then ill go ride around some more and when im stopped at a traffic light ill be idling at 3k again for a few seconds then it goes to less then 900 rpms..and i will either have to put hte choke on or keep reving the bike just so it doesnt die on me

a friend said that it could be that the bike is running to lean?
    so if it turn the screw another 1/4 turn, you guys think it might help with the idle?

First things first, run a batch of fuel system cleaner through the bike.

This kind of problem can be caused by all of the following items:
    1. Smaller carb passages blocked up. Bike tries to retain equilibrium by keeping the vacuum levels up, and once they fall, it is deprived of having sufficient fuel. If you're lucky, the fuel system cleaner will correct that; if not, you'll need to tear down the carbs and clean them thoroughly.
    2. Overly tight throttle cable, damaged throttle cable, misrouted throttle cable. See if you can get it to idle without the throttle cable attached (sticking throttle cable keeping artificially at 3k RPM until it finally releases).
    3. Vacuum leak. Airbox drain tube, vacuum sync caps for the carbs, velocity stacks, or the actual rubber parts in the top of the carb (sealing o-rings, or diaphram slides themselves).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i will pick up some fuel system cleaner soon

my buddy and i already took apart the carbs and gave it a nice cleaning

def will try the throttle cable.

and is there a easy way of checking for a vaccum leak?

Comment

When you cleaned the carbs, did you find any orange paste?

Vacuum leak will usually respond to a spraying of WD-40 or another flammable spray over the affected area (idle will suddenly change when you spray across the leak)... but that assumes that you can get it to idle stably to start with.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
          Ah , but it's VERY tough to make SURE you got the parts clean that cause those kinds of problems . I've seen carbs cleaned THREE TIMES , STILL act up , and then the problem goes away after a shop cleans them a FOURTH time .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i did not find any orange paste... my bowl was clean.

it was the second clean.
            the previous owner said he cleaned it but i didnt trust him so i cleaned it again.

Comment

Originally posted by md86
              Originally posted by [email protected]
              Ah , but it's VERY tough to make SURE you got the parts clean that cause those kinds of problems . I've seen carbs cleaned THREE TIMES , STILL act up , and then the problem goes away after a shop cleans them a FOURTH time .
              I'm just sayin .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Hi There.

i had the exacte same problem with mine and it was the diaphram in the top of my carburators, that was cracked.

after change it just idled fine again.

Sorry for my s h i t t y english, but i'm danish.

My bike... http://kortlink.dk/4dsu
                sigpic

Comment

I'm going to back up Md.. It's that tiny bit of invisible dirt that gets you.. Not the ones you find.

Comment

about USING WD40 to check vaccum leak. One thing that i use that is cleaner, at least i think so is propane, hook up a can, then use a little rubber tube to direct it.
                    just one of those things. My bike does the same thing.....except at sea level, it runs right, idles, gets on the gas everything. completely different bike. I live at 5000 feet though too

Comment

Working...
                    X