No announcement yet.
X

is it worth it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not like you get a B12 engine and your all set. You need the carbs, harness, CDI, just to name a few.

Comment

I know it sounds like a huge mess to me lol

Comment

You don't need the harness or the CDI. The kat's will suffice.
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

you think a Katana CDI with the rev limiter set to Katana 600 specs will work on a B12? I'm sure it will work but if you looking for performance don't you think the rev limiter is set pretty low?

Comment

b12 makes max horse power around 8500 rpms and max torque at 6k rpm. And I believe that the rev limiter on the kat is higher than the b12 anyways.
            Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
            18v Rigid Drill
            New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

The critical thing about a CDI swap (in this case, using the Kat's CDI for the Bandit) is that the spark timing occurs at the right instant. In that sense, the timing BTDC and the method for determining the timing (signal generator system) is so close to identical as to be feasible. If I were doing the research to do the actual swap, I'd look up the tech-specs on the timing for the Bandit and see if it's slightly earlier/slightly later/identical and then if it were more than 2 degrees different, consider compensating at the signal generator rotor (swap rotors or machine an existing one to make the change).
              Since the FactoryPro rotor kit cross-references for both engines, I'd expect there to be no significant difference.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

01 b12 lists ignition timing at 7 deg BTDC at 1500rpm's

98+kats lists ignition timing at 10 deg BTDC at 1200rpm's

I have a 5 deg advancer, and mine runs just fine...

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                18v Rigid Drill

Comment

Ummm... 98+ Kats are 4 degrees BTDC in the USA (49-state model), California model, and Canadian models; 10 degrees in all other markets. That's why adding a 5 degree ignition advancer (forwards the timing to 9 degrees BTDC on the 49-State/California/Canadian mdoels) works; on the Euro models, it would advance the timing into not-working-right realms.

I think you'll find something similar for the Bandits, where it changes depending on which markets they are intended for (North American models being later-firing for pollution control reasons).

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

My bad!!

I was reading the "other countries" column

The bandit is at 7deg though, at least that's what the manual I have says...

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                    18v Rigid Drill

Comment

Working...
                    X