X

Getting it back together

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting it back together

Got my parts..got the carbs ready. Started this morning.

Pulled the plugs, zip-tied the clutch, throttle and clutch cables out of my way, then took a good look at the wiring. Ended up only having to remove the coils, and disconnecting the two main connectors. Everything else had enough slack to zip-tie out of my way. Eventually got to the valve cover

Removed the oil cooler lines

Loosened the oil cooler lines in front, where they go to the oil cooler

Removed the two oil cooler mounting bolts and raised the cooler off it's mount so I could have some room

Got the valve cover bolts off and here it is

I'd noticed I had a slight valve cover leak. Well that makes sense...since the idiots (a dealership no less) that supposedly did a valve adjustment and carb tune decided to leave the RIPPED valve cover gasket in use and just use more silicone...that would explain the leak. Took me a long while to get all the silicone off the head, then make sure none was in the engine...friggin' idiots.

So I lucked out, the local dealership had a valve cover gasket and I figured I'd get a signal generator cover gasket JUST in case (GOOD THING, of course it was busted too....anyone in Maryland, PM me and I'll tell you where NOT to take your bike to..)

Adjusted valves after lining the cams up.

Factory manual states range is .004-.006" these idiots had several of 'em where I had to FORCE A .004 to go in...obviously they adjusted, tightened the locknut and didn't check again...so got 'em all set to .005 right in the middle of the specs. Made sure to not put pressure on the rocker arm when getting my measurement...and double-checked every one after tightening the locknut (good thing, several had tightened up).

So since I picked up a CCT spring, decided to check it... guess which one is the old and which one is the new one..

Spent some quality time with my wire wheel on my drill to clean the signal generator cover 16 year old gasket off...and installed the new one.

Go the CCT adjusted and set up with new spring.

Taking a beer / smoke break now...going to install the valve cover w/ new gasket, install everything else, put the plugs in, then get the carbs on and get this puppy fired up and get the carbs sync'd. Still need to install my new clutch lever and windscreen and all the plastics put back on, but the goal is to take a ride TONIGHT...I deserve to after spending 1.5 hours in the DMV this morning getting my title and registration and tag.

Here she sits now

I'll take a pic when it's back together and firing on all 4

Chris

One more beer won't hurt.....much

at least you KNOW it's right now

Comment

Nice rug!

It's good to see people take care when they work..
      (tools and parts laid out nice)

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
        Nice rug!

It's good to see people take care when they work..
        (tools and parts laid out nice)
        Yeah make fun of the rug......but it's nice and comfy when I'm crawling / laying around working on the bikes....

UPDATE the bike is up and going, had it out and about later that night about 11pm with all the new parts installed. Runs very well. Much quieter, idles better too... still kinda cold natured, but runs great regardless with no rich smelll when running.

New windscreen / clutch lever / mirrors are on as well. It started taking over commuter duty yesterday. Getting ready to roll out now.
        Next up is oil change / cooler flush, and I want to install the Factory Pro shift detent as well.

Doesn't Cyberpoet sell it?

Thanks

Chris

Comment

Yup. I sell the shift kit.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

well I'm used to "mine as well" disease..you ask what that is?

Well..I need to change the oil. So mine as well do a "full oil change" by dropping the pan, flushing the oil cooler. So I 'mine as well' get a Fumoto Valve. And since I have to buy an oil pan gasket and exhaust gaskets anyway, I 'mine as well' get the Factory Pro Shift detent (ORDERED thanks CyberPoet). And since the exhaust has to come off, I mine as well scuff it and paint it.

Also ordered new throttle, clutch and choke cables and new crush gaskets / washers for the oil cooler lines today.

Here we go again.....(as my wife would say)

LOL

Chris

Comment

Chris, if you're going with the fumoto, send me another $5 and I'll throw in one of the special SCMO high-temp magnets (won't demagnetize or weaken under 500 degrees, unlike standard magnets). The only downside to the Fumoto is that it does not have a magnet built into the unit, so ferrous metal scavanging from the oil system (previously handled by the magnet in the top of the OEM drain bolt) stops. The SCMO magnet correct that -- either install it in the oil pan or externally on the oil filter itself.

EDIT: Too late -- your package already shipped.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc
                Yeah make fun of the rug......but it's nice and comfy when I'm crawling / laying around working on the bikes....
                I make fun because I jealous!!!
                Next up is oil change / cooler flush, and I want to install the Factory Pro shift detent as well.
                Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                Yup. I sell the shift kit.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Is that just for slicker sifting? Or will it help prevent 2nd gear death?

Comment

yes it eliminates the causes of the 2nd gear issue. Except for shifting without the clutch, but there isn't a whole lot you can do to fix that.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
                    yes it eliminates the causes of the 2nd gear issue. Except for shifting without the clutch, but there isn't a whole lot you can do to fix that.
                    Well... Except the obvious that is!!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      Chris, if you're going with the fumoto, send me another $5 and I'll throw in one of the special SCMO high-temp magnets (won't demagnetize or weaken under 500 degrees, unlike standard magnets). The only downside to the Fumoto is that it does not have a magnet built into the unit, so ferrous metal scavanging from the oil system (previously handled by the magnet in the top of the OEM drain bolt) stops. The SCMO magnet correct that -- either install it in the oil pan or externally on the oil filter itself.

EDIT: Too late -- your package already shipped.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Crap..didn't think of that. Let me know when the next time you're sending something out and shoot me an email and let me know what the magnet shipped costs

Thanks
                      Chris

Comment

Working...
                      X