X

White smoke coming from under seat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White smoke coming from under seat

I was riding for around an hour yesterday (pretty hard on the bike), and when I came to a stop light i saw white smoke coming from under my seat. Upon closer investigation I realized it was coming from a filter behind the air filter. I have no idea what this filter is, and everytime I come to a stop I am able to notice white smoke coming out of it. I'm new to bikes and I'm hoping I didn't buy a Kat with some serious problems. Thanks guys
    1991 Katana 750

Being new to motorcycles blows, but at least i'm learning.

there's a filter behind the air filter? Could you be more specific? Is it in the air box?

Comment

Can you take a picture?
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I don't know if it's another filter or not, but it looks as if it is a small circular filter that has the same type of exterior as a filter. It has one hose connected to it and is bolted on the bike directly behind the the air filters, and in front of the battery.
        1991 Katana 750

Comment

Sounds like the breather filter off the carbs like you have on your bike MD. I am betting that is what it is.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Is it a california bike? You said "Filter's" as in plural. I assume you have k&n pods installed? I'm not aware of another piece that goes there. Typically, the battery is too close to the air filter for there to be another part there, on an older kat anyways.

Maybe it's some sort of EGR canister for cali is the only thing I can think of.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

yeah, if it's a cali model, thats the only thing that would have a weird filter set up.

Comment

My first thought was Cali bike as well, but the Cali secondary air filter is up front by the PAIR valve assembly under the tank (above the carb area).

Sounds like someone hodge-podged together a valve cover breather filter instead of running it to the airbox.

Question: does your bike still have an airbox?

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah, that's what I need to know, still running the OEM air box?

Comment

Here is the stock airbox, just in case there's a question...

http://www.ronayers.com./fiche/300_0...ir_cleaner.bmp

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      Sounds like someone hodge-podged together a valve cover breather filter instead of running it to the airbox.
                      +1

Comment

So I took off the tank to get a better view of what exactly the filter is attached to. After many many an hour switching off between the manual and the bike I realized that I do not have an Airbox and that I use K&N filter pods. The crankcase breather hose is attached to a small filter located directly behind the pods. So my question is, what things might I want to inspect if I am having white smoke coming from the crankcase breather. Their is also a great deal of what appears to be carbon residue around the crankcase breather filter and below.. If it helps any i got a 91 750 kat with about 22000miles. Thanks for the help so far, its been VERY helpful.
                        1991 Katana 750

Comment

well, white smoke is generally water, take off the valve cover and see if you have water in your cylinder head.

Comment

Actually, I'd go one simpler: look in the oil window.

Does the oil look milky at all? That would be lots of water in the oil.
                            Is there any frothing on the top of the oil right after running the bike? That would usually be just a little water in the oil boiling off.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah, it is MUCH easier to do it CP's way, taking off the valve cover is a PITA.

Comment

Working...
                              X