X

Fuel System Questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System Questions

I know what it is to prime an engine but which direction do you turn the petcock? And where is the reserve on the katana, I didn't think it had one because of the fuel gauge and I don't want to be riding in reserve, made that mistake on my last bike. I never thought about this before until I was reading some other posts. Thanks.
    1989 Katana 600
    1999 Camaro Z28

Comment

So RES is reserve and On is on but is PRI-off? Why does it not just say off-pri-res?

Comment

PRI is no where near "off" PRI stands for prime, that lets fuel flow without having vacuum present.

Comment

Ok, that makes more sense. When would you need to set it to prime? Sorry if these are newbie questions. I just got my Katana a week ago and the last bike I used to ride was my dads old Honda CL450 and it just had on/off/reserve on the petcock.

Comment

you need to use PRI, when there is no fuel in the float bowls. Like after a carb clean, or if it's been sitting.

Comment

This question and a number of others you just asked are here:

KatRider's FAQ's - "CyberPoet's Q & A for Newbies *MUST READ*"

Meanwhile, OFF is both the ON and the RES positions when the bike's engine isn't running (it's a vacuum-controlled petcock, which switches off in any position other than PRI when there isn't any engine vacuum).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks, that explains it all. I will check out the newbie forum. I was using the search and thats how I ended up posting on some of these threads. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X