Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

big problems with firing . . . . i think !

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big problems with firing . . . . i think !

ok i have been building stunt bikes since i was 16, raced and worked at shops on and off but with this bike i am stunned. my buell is a gem compared to this thing. i always liked katanas for the seating position(bike wreck,back problems). i bought it wrecked - just plastic damage. my problem is i cannot get a spark. u can crank on it and crank. everything works except no spark. put a meter on the coils and im getting 0.5- 0.6 volts ! NOT EVEN A VOLT. checked all wires and gounds, cdi box. ignition and all switches- clutch, side stand ect. took it to a local shop just to see what they say, and there words were " we dont know katanas that well and cant do anymore than you already have" Yeah what a shop! i have a suzuki service manual to get wring scematics but no help. only thing is the voltage regulator is intergrated with the alternator but all connections are good and it gets a good current. can anybody help me cuz if not the kats get stripped naked and im starting with a turn signal to the last wire on that damn thing. if your close plz call me anytime on my cell 740-818-8092. any info would help .maybe im overlooking something. [/b]
    if your not scraping , your not riding

What's the ohmage at the coils? Voltage at the coils will burn out most multimeters in a heartbeat if it flashes up to full voltage...

Sounds to me like it might be time to head upstream, which the next item would be the signal generator, located under the front right engine cover. I wouldn't be surprised if you find that either the wires are manged or the hall sensor itself is broken.

Meanwhile, if you have the manual, then you also have a specific order to do the diagnostic and what to check. Use it.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah what he said...

There are two problems with checking spark with a meter.
      One. While the incoming voltage is 12 vdc it transitions in milliseconds you can't see it with a meter.

Second. The output voltage (to the spark plugs) is tens of thousands of volts and at high frequency. I don't think it would burn up a DVM but the poor thing just can't make sense of it.

Check the resistance of the signal generator (disconnected) then the coils. Then see if you have 12v at the coil input with the bike on and ready to start. Plugs might look OK but still not provide spark.
      I also caution people to make sure they have good grounding if they are testing plugs. I use 10 AWG solid wire wrapped tightly around the plug (about 4 of 5 turns, so tight the plug needs to be screwed in.) then lock the tail of the wire under a good clean ground bolt (no paint).

Comment

ok. thanks guys. im gna tear int right now. i'll keep u updated.
        if your not scraping , your not riding

Comment

Working...
        X