X

Quick Oil Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Oil Question

i changed the oil on Friday in the Kat 600. it seemed low (on L in the little window) riding it out to the OR coast and i had it on my mind to fill it up. a few days later the little window appears overfull with dark oil, rather than the cleaner looking oil of a few days ago

i am wondering how the bike would appear low with clean oil for 200 miles and then suddenly have a little too much dark oil? maybe something was plugged (oil cooler perhaps)?
    1993 Suzuki GSX600F

The proper method of checking your oil is to let the bike run for a few minutes to warm the oil up a bit, then shut off the bike and let sit for one to two minutes. Keeping the bike level (i.e. on the center stand on a level surface) check the level. The dark oil more than likely came from the oil cooler. When you do a standard oil change (pan and filter) you're only changing a little over 4 quarts of oil leaving about a quart or more in the oil cooler and it's lines that will make the rest of the oil look dirty.

Long Live the D

Comment

Just want to add that a level surface in one place is "different" than a level surface somewhere else. You should get in the habit of checking your oil with the bike on the centerstand and in the same exact location each time. Case in point, a level part of my driveway shows 1/8 inch below full when a level spot in my garage shows slightly overfull. When I changed my oil it was in a particular place in my garage so I know how much oil is in it. I only rely on the reading taken at that spot in my garage.

Comment

it never occurred to me to check level after the bike had warmed. it may still be low since i had the cooler off at one point and only added 4 quarts. i hear the valves a bit more than usual, as well

i don't have a center stand but i have a level shop floor. i could set a level across the bars for that level and hold the bike precariously above my head with one hand while i check oil level... or get a rear stand, rather

thanks for the replies. i think if i get
        1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Any thoughts/opinions on using a flushing agent whilst doing a full oil change?
          Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

Originally posted by catfish
            it never occurred to me to check level after the bike had warmed. it may still be low since i had the cooler off at one point and only added 4 quarts. i hear the valves a bit more than usual, as well

i don't have a center stand but i have a level shop floor. i could set a level across the bars for that level and hold the bike precariously above my head with one hand while i check oil level... or get a rear stand, rather

thanks for the replies. i think if i get
            It shouldn't be too hard to hold the bike up yourself and check. If you have trouble, though, grab a friend and have him/her sit on the bike upright while you check the level.

Long Live the D

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyoldgit
              Any thoughts/opinions on using a flushing agent whilst doing a full oil change?
              If you plan on using a kerosene/gasoline type flushing agent, pull the clutch pack first to be on the safe side. Then, once you flush, you need to drain the oil cooler and leave the oil drain bolt out overnight, to get as much of the oil out as possible -- a traditional oil change on a Kat only gets about 3/4rds of the oil in the bike; draining the oil cooler ups it to somewhere between 85 and 92%.

If you plan on simply using a light oil (such as a straight 10-weight), you can skip all the complications. Personally, I'd suggest simply running a high detergent synthetic oil and dumping it sooner, unless you seriously expect that there is significant sludge build-up in the engine.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

nah, it wasn't that bad. i just changed it out. i did empty the cooler, as well. i figured oil gets stuck up there

again, thanks to everyone for the help. the bike is happy, i am happy
                1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Working...
                X