X

Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Does anyone know what kind of handle bar has the Katana manufactured in 2000.And if it's with dual push/pull throttle cables?
    I would like to put a Cruise control on it and the one that I found matches only if it has :"7/8 inch handle bars and a dual push/pull throttle cables ''
    Please help.
    Thank you.

yep, it has push/pull cables, talk to HS2020, he sells Throttlemister cruise control bar ends

Comment

Yes, it's a push-pull dual throttle cable system on the 98+ Kats; pre-98's have a single cable.

You have basically four choices, divided into two categories:

1. Manual friction systems. These work by holding the throttle grip in place with friction. The two common ones are the Vista Cruiser system (about $25, plastic, thumb-operated), and the ThrottleMeister Bar-End cruise control (metal with a little rubber; replaces the stock bar-ends with replacements; the throttle side one places friction on the throttle grip when turned, to hold it in place). The ThrottleMeister has the advantage of being offered in a heavier-than-stock bar-end to reduce vibrations, and is not visually appearant (in case you ride in jurisdictions that do not permit cruise-control modifications on motorcycles).
      PRO's: relatively cheap, mechanically simplistic, 15-minute install procedure. If installed correctly, you can easily over-ride the throttle position (it will simply take a little more force to rotate the throttle against the friction that is holding it).
      CON's: You're locking the throttle position, not the actual speed, so the bike will slow down on up-hill sections, speed-up on down-hill sections.

1. Feedback-controlled direct throttle-linkage systems. These work by reading a signal from the speedo sensor at the transmission (on 98+ Kats; pre-98 kats must install a magnet & hall sensor at the rear brake rotor to get the same benefit), then adjusting the throttle input to the carb directly to maintain the same speed irrelevant of whether you're going up-hill or down-hill.
      Both units in this category that are feasible for bikes that I know of are from AudioVox, and are standard cruise-control systems intended primarily for cars that were delivered without cruise-control. The difference between the two systems is that one uses a vacuum cannister to control the throttle (about $200 - $225 by the time all is said & done), the other is a purely electric/electronic version that does away with the vacuum cannister (about $300 - $350 by the time all is said & done).
      PRO's: This gives you all the same features you get in a car cruise-control - on/off, set/accelerate, coast/resume, all from a small control panel. It will lock in your speed and stay within 1 mph of that speed no matter what the road conditions are like, self-regulating the speed. Automatically disables off if you touch the brakes or pull in the clutch, and then you can hit resume to get back to where you were.
      CON's: Price compared to the friction-type, extensive installation procedure (not so bad with the all-electronic one, but I've read repeated reports from riders that rigging the vacuum system sucks because the bike doesn't have enough vacuum at low RPM's to maintain the system's requirements constantly, so you need to plumb in a vacuum chamber [think vacuum bottle] to keep excess vacuum ready on-demand).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The vacuum models also have a fairly big vacuum motor, you will need to find a place to put that monster.

Most all bikes have 7/8" bars, Hardleys being the exception.

All bikes sold in the US for decades are DOT required to have dual throttle cables, so that if the throttle sticks in an open position, or the spring breaks, you can turn the throttle back to closed.
        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB
          The vacuum models also have a fairly big vacuum motor, you will need to find a place to put that monster.

Most all bikes have 7/8" bars, Hardleys being the exception.

All bikes sold in the US for decades are DOT required to have dual throttle cables, so that if the throttle sticks in an open position, or the spring breaks, you can turn the throttle back to closed.
          By decades, you mean since 1998 on the Katana, and 2000 on the Bandit.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
          X