Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Chain streched. What is the 750's correct Service Limit?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain streched. What is the 750's correct Service Limit?

Well, after many drag racing type starts over the weekend, I've had some unusual sounds coming from near my left foot particularly when between about 3-5k RPM's in 1st and 2nd. It may be doing it at higher RPM's and gears and I just can't hear it. It isn't terribly loud. I figure it is either my chain, my transmission, or the bottom end of the engine.

I did the "pull from the rear sprocket test" and the chain looked OK. I also did the manual's suggested 21 pin (20 pitch) measurement and was over the 319.4 mm Service Limit. My manual is for a 600 and I have a 750, is this Service Limit still correct? At any rate I was at about 324 or so mm. I'm hoping the chain was the noise I was hearing. It was also a little loose, so I adjusted it a bit and oiled it.

So the questions are:

1. Is 319.4mm the correct Service Limit for an '05 750's chain?
    2. (If it is) Is it safe to ride like this until my new chain comes in?
    -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
    -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Same I believe
    Bike is sold

Comment

you have a 2005 according to your ride profile, in that case, the 600 and 750 are, in fact, the same.

Comment

Time for new chain & sprockets.
        My general advice is the 530 Combo Kit (Vortex steel sprockets/RK HSO chain) from BikeBandit. This link ought take you directly to the right product page:
        BikeBandit: 98+ Kat 750 Combo Kit [Caution: lists aluminum rear sprocket, should be steel in that kit]

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Call me a risk taker. While waiting for my new chain to arrive (seller shipped the wrong size at the first time...), I inspected every link and properly lubed the chain and rode very gently. That time my non-O-ring chain was stretched to a point I had no more room to adjust. I knew if the chain had failed I would have lost much more than the chain.

I just finish installed the new RK X-ring and new sprockets (a couple of hours ago) and I already feel much better now.

Get them replaced for a peace of mind.

Comment

Working...
          X