X

if your piston looks like this, that's BAD

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Visker
    Looks familiar, had a valve snap in my Ducati.
    Timing belt break/skip?
    Or was it too lean in the jetting?

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

wow, that's bad, I don't know if that piston is cracked, I'll post pictures if it is.

Comment

Its what happens when the guy you buy it from does his own valve job.[/quote]
        2001 Suzuki GSX600F - Yoshi pipe, Dynojet stage 1 kit, UNI filter, Factory pro ignition advancer, Fender delete, Smoked signals, bar ends, frame sliders, JAG mirrors, smoked shield...

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          My Diagnosis:
          Fairly low mileage engine.
          #4 Carb blocked/lean, tied to aftermarket header and/or K&N air filter sans appropriate compensating jetting at the carb. Cylinder ran extremely lean, overheated exhaust valve and piston face repeatedly, pitting piston face repeatedly and thermally stressing the valves. Exhaust valve cracked, but operator continued riding like usual. Exhaust valve finally gave while opening and shattered valve parts went into the cylinder. Engine turned about another 12-20 times before it seized all-together.
          Odds that the rider happened to do a wheelie within the last ten miles before engine failure based on the seized valve: about 35%.

My real question is about the spark plug -- what's left?

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          No way.

That engine turned over 14-27 time before it seized. The odds of a wheelie in the last ten miles a no more then 31.23% I would also add the the ambient temperature was 52.75-66.83 degrees F. With a relative humidity of 49-58.47%. Oh yeah and the bike was painted silver and safety green.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
            No way.

That engine turned over 14-27 time before it seized. The odds of a wheelie in the last ten miles a no more then 31.23% I would also add the the ambient temperature was 52.75-66.83 degrees F. With a relative humidity of 49-58.47%. Oh yeah and the bike was painted silver and safety green.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Interesting. When Kristin's brother blew up the motor in her kat, he sait he was 'doing about 130.'

Piston: http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../engine002.jpg

Combustion chamber: http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s003Medium.jpg
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I wonder if the piston burned up or if it experienced mechanical failure. I have seen a piston crown separate from the skirt in a race engine. The crown ended up in chunks in the oil pan. The skirt and the wrist pin just kept moving with the con rod. It scored the heck out of the cylinder wall but the motor kept running.

Usually when a cylinder runs lean you see a hole burned in the piston (like in Steves pictures). That would drop cylinder pressure and reduce the amount of catastrophic damage.

Comment

Ouch, but on the good side, scrap aluminum is pulling about $3-$4 a pound.
                  Who brought the retarded kid?

Comment

Didn't another member have an engine that looked like that??

Hmm.. I remember one..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                      Didn't another member have an engine that looked like that??

Hmm.. I remember one..
                      Somebody had a "running" bike that he thought was dropping a cylinder...
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

yeah, I remember that, his engine looked very similar to that.

Comment

Re: if your piston looks like this, that's BAD

Originally posted by arsenic13
                          Okay, I'm a Suzuki tech, so I've seen a lot of stuff, but I've never seen an engine blow this bad.

That's the piston on cylinder #4, it's totally gone.

Here's what the combustion chamber on the head looks like. I don't know if you can see it in the picture, but one of the valves is completely broken, and one is pushed way up in there. Wow, this motor is BAD.

Why are the pictures dated for 2003?

Comment

I've never messed with the date stamp on my camera, it's on whatever it was on when I bought it. I'll mess with that tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
                              I've never messed with the date stamp on my camera, it's on whatever it was on when I bought it. I'll mess with that tonight.
                              Don't believe him, its a scam!
                              Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

Working...
                              X