What oil are you using?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Mobil 1, it's good stuff.

Comment

You guys mentioned chain lube....Don't buy the high $$ Suzuki stuff.

Go to Lowe's....

Tool department...look for the DUPONT brand 'dry lube' with the blue label. It even lists 'chains' on the front for lube / clean. $4.95 a bottle at my Lowe's.

It's Absolutely GREAT. I use it on my kid's dirtbike...my chainsaw (I kid you not with NO messy chain oil in the resovoir, and it works WONDERS).

It actually cleans and lubes. I use it on my GS500 (and will on the cat).

No sling, no mess, and it lubes wonderfully.

HTH

Chris

Comment

nice, I got to give that stuff a try.

Comment

The only place I've found it around me is Lowe's...Home Depot etc doesn't stock it....I'm assuming 'yet'

Comment

Castrol 4T 10W-40. No complaints after two years. No hard riding, but lots of stop and go.
            Used to have all the time in the world to work on bikes - but no resources.
            Now I have the resources, but no time.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
              Likewise . I just ran out of the PJ1 Blue Label stuff I BEEN using , and bought this crap in Indy while on a road trip and just gave it a try ...... Yeah , that crap is NASTY . And the gear oil is nice , but the fling scares me . My chain looks CLEAN while using the gear oil , though . It just gets EVERYWHERE .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Harley Screamin' Eagle

It was recommended by my mechanic and so far it's done a nice job... expensive as hell though
                If your paddleing up steam and a wheel falls of.....
                How many pancakes fit in a dog house??......

None stupid!...... Ice cream doesn’t have bones!

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  Originally posted by arsenic13
                  Likewise . I just ran out of the PJ1 Blue Label stuff I BEEN using , and bought this crap in Indy while on a road trip and just gave it a try ...... Yeah , that crap is NASTY . And the gear oil is nice , but the fling scares me . My chain looks CLEAN while using the gear oil , though . It just gets EVERYWHERE .
                  That's the killer thing about this Dupont stuff....now it says right on the can that it cleans as well as lubes...and when I got my GS500 it was 'leaking oil' from the sprocket cover. PO thought it was the output shaft seal. Well it wasn't....there is a SMALL seep from the gear shift shaft seal, so I bought the seal. So the night I went to install it, I removed the sprocket cover and it was dirty with chain lube everywhere. So I cleaned it out with brake cleaner, took a rag and WD-40 and cleaned the chain with it..it went from black / grease colored to looking so new I could read the model # on it. Then I went for a quick ride just to get the chain warm. Then I SOAKED it with the Dupont spray lube. Went inside, got a drink, changed clothes, came back out and was going to wipe off the excess lube. NO NEED!!! The stuff dries up...you can actually take your hand and rub the chain, and it's just a bit 'damp' with it. NO sling, no crap in the sprocket cover, and that was over 500 miles ago, and the chain still looks brand new and is still lubed.

And the oil leak? Well it turns out the majority of what was dripping out was the built up gunk and chain lube in the sprocket cover getting warm during a ride, then melting, and dripping out of the sprocker cover, and then onto the ground. Since I cleaned the cover out, and lubed the chain, then degrease the entire bottom of the engine (the same evening) I've realized that my 'oil leak' is actually about 3 to 4 drops after a decent ride..that's it. Over 500 miles and the oil level hasn't moved any. So I still haven't replaced the seal, as it's not a big deal to me.

HTH

Chris

Comment

Do you guys think it would be fine to put Synthetic probably mobile-1 into my bike I just purchased? The previous owner had regular in there its entire life and its a 97 with 7300 miles on it. I want to put synthetic in but I dont want to spring an oil leak either. I know in cars its not recomended after a certain amount of miles. Thanks for any insight on this.

Comment

yeah it's all BS, synthetic oil will be fine, just make sure it is MOTORCYCLE oil.

Comment

Didn't we just cover this in another thread this week?
                        Maybe not this past week...

Synthetic (or any other high-detergent oil) may wash away globs of built-up sludge at the seals, and if the seals are already trashed, might cause it to leak there. Because of how the seals are on the bike, it's not likely to happen, and if it does, replacing a leaking seal in general is a breeze.

The benefits you will get from using a high-detergent motorcycle motor oil, esp. a high-temp capable synthetic, on a bike like the Kat will greatly outweigh any potential pitfalls with washing away sludge (cleaner = longer life).

More important than what you use, is making sure you don't use specific formulations -- no API SJ, SL nor SM, and nothing with the words "Energy Conserving" in the lower ring of the API mark.

You can't go wrong with Mobil 1's Motorcycle-specific products (Mobil 1 MX4T, Mobil 1 4T Racing Oil, Mobil 1 VTwin), nor with Castrol's GPS (not GTX!).

Here's my guide to understanding how to choose motorcycle motor oils: CyberPoet's "How to pick what motor oils to run in your motorcycle"

And here's my quick-ref sheet for the Kats:

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

again with CP's oil thing, make that 51 times I've seen it

Comment

Working...
                          X