X

Gear Shifting Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by n1
    i didnt mean shifting down to neutrel .. ill give another example im in 4th and coming to a stop and i shift all the way down to 1st without engaging any of the other gears just straight down to 1st.. is it bad??

thanks for the replys guys

i dont think so i do it all the time over the last 13yrs and never had a problem
    I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

alrite thanks alot

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        What is the correct procedure to Downshift in a lazy way (rolling into a town, or to a stop sign behind a car)?
        Clutch in, throttle up a little, snap-shift [with your foot], release throttle, clutch out.
        Don't go back into 2nd or 1st above a walking (strolling) speed. Generally don't go into a gear that would put the bike above 4k while down-shifting as a newbie, and make sure you rev the engine to match the RPM's to the speed the bike will be at.
        If you want to argue with him, then be my guest.
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

dp

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
            Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            What is the correct procedure to Downshift in a lazy way (rolling into a town, or to a stop sign behind a car)?
            Clutch in, throttle up a little, snap-shift [with your foot], release throttle, clutch out.
            Don't go back into 2nd or 1st above a walking (strolling) speed. Generally don't go into a gear that would put the bike above 4k while down-shifting as a newbie, and make sure you rev the engine to match the RPM's to the speed the bike will be at.
            If you want to argue with him, then be my guest.

ok i will i happen to be good friends with him been to his house in fla even thought i live in vegas im always welcome there and hes alway welcome at my house and im not some newbie to bikes in general been wrenching on them for 13yrs and im not a newbie to this board i was around long before you were and i took a yr off and just came back 8)

Comment

Well, nowhere did I say you were a newbie, and that you didn't know what you were talking about, and the fact that you've been around the board longer than I have doesn't really mean anything.

I'm simply saying that what YOU may do is your own thing. I just don't think it's right for other people to tell new riders something that contradicts what is taught in the MSF course, that is all.

This has nothing to do with how long you've been wrenching, or how long you have been riding.
              Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
              18v Rigid Drill
              Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
              New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
                Well, nowhere did I say you were a newbie, and that you didn't know what you were talking about, and the fact that you've been around the board longer than I have doesn't really mean anything.

I'm simply saying that what YOU may do is your own thing. I just don't think it's right for other people to tell new riders something that contradicts what is taught in the MSF course, that is all.

This has nothing to do with how long you've been wrenching, or how long you have been riding.
                well im sorry the msf course while a good course to take has many flaws like the shifting and some of the braking procedures that are designed for cruisers and hardly runningsons many which dont apply to the modern designs of a sport bike the shifting one for instance was because when the curriculum was made transmissions where still using older technology for shifting which were clunky hence the whole shift release clutch clutch in shift clutch out till you got slowed down while using the brakes also to stop a 900 pound hunk steel that had terrible brakes so they invented the engine braking to help slow it down with modern bike now yes even the kats you can use the brakes a slow it down so fast its quite scary. plus the fact they tell you to shift thru each gear so that as you slow down if you need power to go all of a sudden you have it well again when it was written bike then had half the power they do now and weighted more so took more work to get them moving newer bike you can still be down in revs like 2500 to 3000 and still crank the throttle and the bike will still accelerate nicely to avoid danger granted a few bikes ninja 500 gs500 ninja 250 not so much but most modern 600s no problem just my 2cents about the whole msf being the correct way

Comment

Re: Gear Shifting Question

Originally posted by n1
                  Hi im new to the forum and new to riding and was wondering if im in 4th and coming to a stop when my rpm is around 2k and i shift all the way down to one without letting go of the clutch is that bad for my tranny?

may sound idiotic but just a reminder again, im new to all this.

thanks
                  Well, despite the pissing match... if you mean that you are nearly stopped and you want to gear down to 1st to be ready to start again even if you don't come to a complete stop, then yes you can click down through without releasing the clutch in between. But keep in mind that you want to be below 3-5 mph before dropping her into 1st. If you do it at too high a speed you will know it because she will THUNK into 1st (not good!) instead of click!

But I usually engine brake thru 3rd before coasting with the clutch in until stopped. Then I just click down into 1st from 3rd when stopped. If I see that I don't have to put my feet down and stop completely, then I will drop down into 2nd or 1st depending on speed and use the clutch to keep her rolling.

But I am a relatively new rider and have not taken the MSF course, so my advice may not be the best, but that is what I do.
                  Sold: 2001 Katana 600
                  Bought: 2007 Kawasaki Z1000

Still waiting for my Braada Cowl... 62 weeks and counting... I'm told it will be worth the wait...

Comment

Cant be arsed to read all the other posts, but dont do it, gear down 1 at a time when slowing, letting the clutch put inbetween changes to aid breaking.

Do it any other way and ur dumb
                    "they haven't made a motorcycle in oh 35yrs where you can turn the head light off Confused"

burger?

Comment

Working...
                    X