X

Gear Shifting Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Shifting Question

Hi im new to the forum and new to riding and was wondering if im in 4th and coming to a stop when my rpm is around 2k and i shift all the way down to one without letting go of the clutch is that bad for my tranny?

may sound idiotic but just a reminder again, im new to all this.

thanks

Yes, it is bad.

And what happens when your in 4th going 40 or 50mph and your already in 1st, and you need to make a quick evasive maneuver if your in first with the clutch in going 30, and you let the clutch out your rpm's will jump pretty high, and that could mean disaster. I wouldn't shift into first unless you are going slower than 10mph.

Go the to FAQ section of the forum and look for the newbie thread, you will find answers to ALL your beginner questions and you'll even find answers to questions you didn'y even know you had.

Ride safe!
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I wouldn't down shift at all. when your coming to a stop pull in the clutch a shift into neutral, no reason to downshift.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
        I wouldn't down shift at all. when your coming to a stop pull in the clutch a shift into neutral, no reason to downshift.
        That's not what they teach new riders in the MSF course....
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

yeah, I know, my bad, I'm just to lazy to downshift

Comment

Haha, as are a lot of people I know and ride with.

n1 - It's primarily a saftey issue to always have the bike in gear. No to mention down-shifting into neutral at high speed can RUIN your tranny.

In general, neutral should not be used while on the road. Even at a stop, keep the bike in 1st just in case you need to get out of the way quick. If you're at a stop light and need to make some kind of adjustment whether it be to your gear, mirrors, idle speed, then you have to choice other than to put the bike in neutral and make your adjustment, but just in general, keep it in gear at all times.

Read through the top 2 links on this page:

and heres the newbie thread:

If you are brand new to riding, then it is highly suggested to take the MSF course.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
            18v Rigid Drill

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
              Haha, as are a lot of people I know and ride with.

n1 - It's primarily a saftey issue to always have the bike in gear. No to mention down-shifting into neutral at high speed can RUIN your tranny.

In general, neutral should not be used while on the road. Even at a stop, keep the bike in 1st just in case you need to get out of the way quick. If you're at a stop light and need to make some kind of adjustment whether it be to your gear, mirrors, idle speed, then you have to choice other than to put the bike in neutral and make your adjustment, but just in general, keep it in gear at all times.

Read through the top 2 links on this page:

and heres the newbie thread:

If you are brand new to riding, then it is highly suggested to take the MSF course.
              how does down shifting in neutral at speed ruin your tranny please enlighten me ????? i gotta hear your reasoning behind this
              I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

me too.

Comment

Being in neutral at speed won't ruin the transmission. DOWN-SHIFTING into neutral CAN ruin the tranny, just like the missed 2nd gear while up-shifting, you can do it down-shifting as well.

Going 40-50mph on a kat and down shifting into neutral isn't smooth as butter like it is on SS bikes....

And remember n1 said. "im new to all this". Just trying to tell him the RIGHT way to do things.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                  18v Rigid Drill

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
                    Being in neutral at speed won't ruin the transmission. DOWN-SHIFTING into neutral CAN ruin the tranny, just like the missed 2nd gear while up-shifting, you can do it down-shifting as well.

Going 40-50mph on a kat and down shifting into neutral isn't smooth as butter like it is on SS bikes....

And remember n1 said. "im new to all this". Just trying to tell him the RIGHT way to do things.
                    ok one flaw in your thinking here how come kawis come with a positive neutral finder that will not let you into 1st gear till your at 3mph or less ??? and shifting down thru the gears wont ruin a tranny even if you hit neutral trust me on this ive rebuild enough of them to know i rebuild one about ever month and a half for a few of the stunters here in vegas now half ass hitting 2nd and neutral will ruin it im guessing thats what your referring to???
                    I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin
                      ok one flaw in your thinking here how come kawis come with a positive neutral finder that will not let you into 1st gear till your at 3mph or less ???
                      I don't see the flaw in my thinking there....? I never said anything about shifting into first at speed.

Less than 10mph, yes, preferably when you are a walking speed would be better (3mph). When stopped, bike should be in first. I don't see a flaw there.

And I don't think you are understanding what I'm trying to say here, BEING in neutral at whatever speed, whether it be 5mph or 200mph, WON'T RUIN THE TRANSMISSION.

GETTING into neutral CAN ruin it. As in the down shifting from 5th or 4th into neutral. If you don't click down through the gears with enough force and you hear the detent arm rattling around, is that good for the tranny? No, I don't think so.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                      18v Rigid Drill

Comment

well yeah down shifting weakly no matter if you go into neutral or not will harm your trans

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
                          well yeah down shifting weakly no matter if you go into neutral or not will harm your trans
                          Exactly, but say your in 6th going about 50 or 60mph and you down-shift to neutral, that shift from 3rd to 2nd, and even 4th to 3rd is going to be a lot harder than say if you were going 30mph, am I right?

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                          18v Rigid Drill

Comment

no, as long as you have the clutch engaged it technically shouldn't matter how fast your going. If your clutch adjustment is off it will matter, but if your clutch is adjusted properly, it shouldn't matter.

Comment

i didnt mean shifting down to neutrel .. ill give another example im in 4th and coming to a stop and i shift all the way down to 1st without engaging any of the other gears just straight down to 1st.. is it bad??

thanks for the replys guys

Comment

Working...
                              X