X

Best bumper for a newly mounted centerstand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best bumper for a newly mounted centerstand

Okay - I put the 750 centerstand on the 600 frame today. Getting ready to drop the motor, then swingarm, etc...

Here's my problem: The stand bangs against the mount for the shock and is a good way away from the full exhaust (V&H SS2R). I haven't taken it out with the centerstand mounted up, but if that bangs away while I'm riding, it's going to be a major distraction.

There isn't anything on the exhaust to prevent the bump... What's the best way to bumper the centerstand?

BTW - I am keeping the centerstand on there after the swap is done, so fight the urge to post a response saying "pull the centerstand." Okay?
    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

afro-engineer something . I'd want a chunk of rubeer to start with . Find a good spot for where you'd WANT to put it . Then find something you can use to make it GO where you want to put it .....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

okay, I was gonna say pull the center stand, thats all I got

Comment

Would it make sense to bumper it right under the shock mount, or should I just gerry rig a mount and bumper off the exhaust? either looks to be pretty easy to do.

Comment

Hey Jim, I just mounted a centerstand with my yoshi exhaust (no bumpers)
          It hits my lower shock mount too... when I take it off the stand it makes a loud clank, but I don't hear it while riding. Those springs are wicked tight.

Comment

Originally posted by DonShannon
            It hits my lower shock mount too... when I take it off the stand it makes a loud clank, but I don't hear it while riding. Those springs are wicked tight.
            Good to know... I might wrap the center bar on the stand to cut down on the clank, though.

You haven't had any issues with the stand being pushed down when you hit a bump?

Comment

Originally posted by jgmann67
              Originally posted by DonShannon
              Good to know... I might wrap the center bar on the stand to cut down on the clank, though.

You haven't had any issues with the stand being pushed down when you hit a bump?
              I try to avoid those

But no, I haven't heard or felt a thing. I'll make a point of listening for it tomorrow though

Comment

There's a stock bumper on the stock exhaust system -- would it be viable to place the same rubber bumper on the first thing the centerstand comes into contact with?

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i'll try and post pictures later, but there is a flat piece of 1/8" steel that comes with the ss2r system for the kats designed specifically to fix this problem. you take that piece of metal and take the clutch side center stand bolt out and put the metal back on and retighten bolt. personally i'd get a hold of that piece of metal, I can either try to give you measurements later today or tomorrow.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    There's a stock bumper on the stock exhaust system -- would it be viable to place the same rubber bumper on the first thing the centerstand comes into contact with?

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    I think because he's running a rull system... it's hitting in a different spot?

What about a piece of heater hose cut open and zip tied in place?
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves
                      Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      I think because he's running a rull system... it's hitting in a different spot?

What about a piece of heater hose cut open and zip tied in place?
                      Ahh, great Pennsylvania minds thinking alike again... That's exactly what I was thinking about (and, I'm going to keep the V&H if possible, otherwise, I'll go to the stocker exhaust for now - but that's a exhaust fitment issue more than anything). It doesn't touch the V&H at all anywhere...

Comment

Originally posted by jgmann67

Ahh, great Pennsylvania minds thinking alike again... That's exactly what I was thinking about (and, I'm going to keep the V&H if possible, otherwise, I'll go to the stocker exhaust for now - but that's a exhaust fitment issue more than anything). It doesn't touch the V&H at all anywhere...
                        Ain't nothing you can't fix with some duct tape, JB weld, and a little heater hose....

I like the heater hose because it's durable and cheap.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

here you go man. hope it helps. might have to use some trig or geometry to get some angles to reproduce.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Hey Jim, I hit a few potholes today and didn't hear anything.
                            I found a piece of rubber with adhesive backing from... uh... something. I slapped that on, now instead of clank, it's a metallic thud (which means it's still a clank, just a bit muffled)

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80
                              here you go man. hope it helps. might have to use some trig or geometry to get some angles to reproduce.

Excellent. Thanks...

Hey Jim, I hit a few potholes today and didn't hear anything.
                              I found a piece of rubber with adhesive backing from... uh... something. I slapped that on, now instead of clank, it's a metallic thud (which means it's still a clank, just a bit muffled)
                              This day just keeps gettin' better and better...

Comment

Working...
                              X