X

Fuel economy question.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel economy question.

Would old spark plugs be a contributing cause in the loss of fuel economy?
    Pretty sure they are the orig plugs

Last year I was getting approx 250-260km (better on longer out of city road trips) before needing reserve.
    This year I seem to only be getting 210-220km before needing reserve.

I noticed a bit of a loss in economy near the end of last year but chauked it up to longer warm ups in colder wether.

I have changed the air filter @ the beginning of the season, no changes were made to the carbs, other than being checked out if dirty & choke slide lubed). Valves adjusted. Ran a couple of tanks of seafoam with the first couple of tanks after buring off the stabilized gas.

Pretty sure my riding style hasn't changed, my commute is a bit longer this year (approx 30km one way, it was about 10 before) & most of my driviing is still within the city. Bike dosn't smell of fuel and the tip of the tail pipe is not extra carbony so I don't think I'm running rich.

Anything else I can check to get back my fuel economy?

BTW this is a 2K 600
    Everytime a bell rings, an angel gets it's wings. Everytime a mouse traps snaps, an angels set on fire. - J. Handey

What about your chain and sprockets...is it maybe time for a changeout? Another thing I would suggest is keeping an eye on the tire pressures....a low tire pressure would cause poorer gas mileage. That's all I can think of right now.
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

CrazyAussie hit it on the nose: tire pressures and chain maint. A bad chain can suck up to 15% of your power before it ever reaches the back wheel.

The only other possibilities that readily occurs to me are:
      1. The fuel you buy now has a larger amount of alcohol in it, so you are losing power in two ways - evaporation of that alcohol while the fuel is in the tank, plus lower power-output-per-gallon.
      2. Bad carb float -- but this should be obvious as an increase in the oil level and/or a very nasty (& fluid-filled) airbox.

Oh, and spark plugs are pass/fail -- either they detonate the mix or they don't. If your bike was missing regularly, you'd be complaining of power-loss and explosions out the tail pipe (after-fires) or through the airbox (back-fires).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Could be my imagination but I changed over to Mobil 1 synthetic, sync carbs and adjusted valves and I gained around 4 mpg.
        2006 Katana 750+

Comment

Mmmmm, maybe I am getting too heavy handed on the throttle.

New chain & sprockets over the winter as well, always lubed, cleaned & maintained regularly.

As far as tire pressure, I am on top of it regularly as well. Following Cybers recommendations I searched for long ago.

Not bad carb float, oil is fine (just changed) and the airbox is nice & empty.
          Everytime a bell rings, an angel gets it's wings. Everytime a mouse traps snaps, an angels set on fire. - J. Handey

Comment

Originally posted by Timbercreek
            Could be my imagination but I changed over to Mobil 1 synthetic, sync carbs and adjusted valves and I gained around 4 mpg.
            Actually, this isn't uncommon. The oil may well be doing a better job and inducing fewer pumping losses.

Originally posted by tat2
            Mmmmm, maybe I am getting too heavy handed on the throttle.
            Could be. Or your new route may have a different kind of riding environment than your old one (more uphill stretches, more traffic stops & slow-downs, and/or more high-speed highway type riding).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X