X

Motor Oil: What kind is best?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87vert
    I use suzuki synthetic "racing" oil because thats pretty much all I can find locally.
    All I can find is Amsoil I've searched everywhere for the Mobil and other brands, and Amsoil is all I can find in my area. So, that's about 99% of the reason I'm with Amsoil.

The other 1% is because that's what the guy used when I bought it. He probably used Amsoil because that's all he could find.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by tomgiboney
      Wow... yeah, nice performance increase, very bad wear increase... 5w oil is defintely a no no if you want to ensure a long life for your Kat.
      And what proof do you have to support your claim? I already know the Suzuki spec. is for 10W40, but that doesn't necessarily mean 5W40 isn't an acceptable alternative does it?

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaKat
        Originally posted by tomgiboney
        Wow... yeah, nice performance increase, very bad wear increase... 5w oil is defintely a no no if you want to ensure a long life for your Kat.
        And what proof do you have to support your claim? I already know the Suzuki spec. is for 10W40, but that doesn't necessarily mean 5W40 isn't an acceptable alternative does it?
        No kidding.
        Esp. in an oil cooled bike, it won't be at 5 weight for very long, only during warming up...pumping easily and quickly.

How long does it take your oil to get to 100C?
        93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

5w-40? I know that in hotter climates you need a heavier weight... like in the Arizona heat, 20w-50 would be best. So, I'm not entirely sure... but I'm not going to risk using 5w in my Kat, I've read elsewhere that 5w oil does not provide the minimum required protection to keep our bikes in good shape for very long... so imho it's not worth the risk. Also, when does the most engine wear and tear take place? At startup. ... which makes the point of "how long does it take to get to 100 degree C?" rather moot.

Comment

Well guys,

Here is my situation, my brother in law works a t a dealer ship so I got a good deal on Suzuki brand 10W40 (suppose to be okay for my bike).

part number 99951-10w40-095

but I read cybers stuff and now am not sure it is compatible. so any comments from the experts?

RIP - CyberPoet 20/09/2009

Comment

Originally posted by Steveb
              How long does it take your oil to get to 100C?
              It depends on what RPM and what kind of traffic I'm in... If I get on the interstate and tool along at 75 steady, I'm usually well under 100 degrees C in all except the hottest weather. But if I hit triple-digits, run the engine around 8.5k RPM & up, or hit a traffic jam, I'm suddenly at 150 degrees C in just a few minutes, and climbing...

Originally posted by mcmahonm
              but I read cybers stuff and now am not sure it is compatible. so any comments from the experts?
              What does the bottle say? Suzuki has circulated motor oils that are rated SF/SG, SH, and SL. Personally, I wouldn't use the SL-rated one unless it also specifically has the JASO-MA rating on it. If you get one of the SF thru SH rated ones, no problems

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by 87vert
                I use suzuki synthetic "racing" oil because thats pretty much all I can find locally.
                I wonder who supplies this product for Suzuki? I still use Suzuki branded oil in my old 2-stroke bike.
                Simon Alexander
                Owasso, Oklahoma

1973 GT750K Water Buffalo - Gone but never forgotten.
                2006 GSX600F Katana

Comment

Well the bottle says it is engineered to exceed API SL, SJ, SH, SG and SF and meets the friction requirments of JASO MA

So if I read all this stuff right it is okay for my kat

RIP - CyberPoet 20/09/2009

Comment

Oil? They don't take mix?
                    98 Integra GSR
                    96 Kat 750

Don't be like me

Comment

Originally posted by mcmahonm
                      Well the bottle says it is engineered to exceed API SL, SJ, SH, SG and SF and meets the friction requirments of JASO MA

So if I read all this stuff right it is okay for my kat
                      Yes, and not really...

Since it exceeds SL and meets the JASO MA friction requirements, it should not foul your clutch and it should provide lubrication at a reasonable level. What that statement really says is that:
                      (A) It is formulated as an API SL or SM rated motor oil in general,
                      (B) Except that we have put no friction modifiers in that will interfere with a wet clutch (thus, not meeting the energy-conserving spec of the standard API SL/SM ratings).

BUT since it exceeds SL, it means that it is very low in ZDDP (which is particularly good at filling up scratches in the cylinder walls and wear in the journals), AND since it only meets the friction requirements of the JASO-MA standard (which, as a full standard consists of a lot of specifications above and beyond just the friction aspect), it would not be what I would consider the ideal choice for a Kat.

It's kind of like wanting cream in your coffee and settling for skimmed milk.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well, I've used AMSOIL MCF 10W-40 now for two oil changes. And I do not really notice much difference. I think I'm going to try Mobil 1 MX4T next since it got such a good position in the poll.

Comment

hmm, anybody ever heard of spectra 4? I just picked it up at cyclegear yesterday and changed my oil - its 10w-40 mineral. Its supposed to be suitable for 4 stroke, reg or wet clutch, has detergents in it, etc etc. I didnt notice any difference in shifting/acceleration - then again i take it easy as i'm a newb at this whole bike thing...

my old man says i should've went with synthetic but i was hesistant to. any thoughts on synthetic vs mineral?

Comment

Working...
                          X