RE: fuel tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: fuel tank

Greetings,

I noticed that at the front of the tank, right underneath it, the previous owner(s) placed a piece of cardboard between the tank and the frame. I hear the tank vibrating so I decided to look up what parts are there from ronayres.com. I ordered the front rubber moulding that attaches to the front lip and the c-moulding that attaches underneath. However, i was told this morning by the dealer that the c moulding is on back order, but he also indicated that I may not need it. He believes that it still may be there and that the only thing i may need would be the rubber lip moulding. My question is: is it possible to check without having do disconnect all the hoses from the tank?

thanks in advance.

PS: i did check the forum but only found articles pertaining to tank removal. I'm hoping I don't have to do that.

Unless you can get a flash light and peek in there I don't know how you can tell. I also think that is you tried to move the tank enough to see you might pop loose hoses anyway. He may be right in that the rubber part is still there. It is common that the "C" shaped part gets bent by taking the tank off wrong. (lifting the back, instead of sliding it back) So the cardboard is in there to keep it from rattling worse. Hey! How do you know there is cardboard in there? If you can see the cardboard maybe you can see the rubber part?

Comment

Hey BP:

No, it's at the very front of the gas tank. According to the fiche, there's a rubber molding that contors to the lip of the tank and wedges itself between the tank and the frame. I know for sure that i'm missing that piece. That rubber may actually reduce the vibrating effect. However, I've tried to so see whether that C moulding is missing as well. Unfortunately, because it sits directly underneath the tank, there's no way of knowing for sure. The guy at the dealership indicating that if it wasn't there, the tank would more than just vibrate. The tank attaches to the rear and at that c moulding for it to stay in place.

PS: I followed your instructions to the "T" on bleeding the brakes and it worked like a charm. Thank you for all your help!!!!

Comment

You're probably going to have to take off the tank to replace the rubber piece anyway.

Long Live the D

Comment

Originally posted by mavpsa
          No, it's at the very front of the gas tank. According to the fiche, there's a rubber molding that contors to the lip of the tank and wedges itself between the tank and the frame.
          You mean part #23?

I never even knew that existed..
          I have zero vibration.. (well except from the filler key flap)
          I'm thinking you could get something similar at an Auto parts store..
          (probably a whole roll for the cost of the one parts from Suzi!)
          And I agree with Paradox, you probably can replace that without removing the tank, though unbolting it will allow you to shift the tank a little.

PS: I followed your instructions to the "T" on bleeding the brakes and it worked like a charm. Thank you for all your help!!!!
          Glad it worked out for you!

Comment

You might be able to tell if it's there by lifting up the tank a little bit.... but it's super easy to pop the lines and remove it.

Why not get a piece of radiator hose from the auto parts store, slit it, and use that to cover the surface?

I'm guessing if there is cardboard there, either the stock bit of rubber is missing or trashed...
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I'm still on-board with Black_peter's first post: I think the C-channels on the tank are bent. They should tuck into part #11 tight enough to keep the tank from vibrating as long as both of #14 are in place (& facing up -- turn the cross-bar over and it will vibrate), and 19/20 are there on each side. Item #23 is not critical to keeping the tank from vibrating.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If it's part # 11, I have 5 or 6 here..........

I also have part # 23, at least 4 of them.............

11 is mandatory for reducing or eliminating rattles, vibrations, etc.
                23 is virtually meaningless...........it only helps when you remove the tank.........see......you have to sort of tip it up a bit to get it out.......then that part hits the frame.............just keeps it all from scratching things......

PM or e-mail me with your needs for those parts............
                I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

You can also try felt insulation available at Home Depot and Wal-Marts.

Comment

Working...
                  X