X

Cheapest Chain and Sprocket setup?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain
    If it LOOKS dry , it could probably use a shot of oil . Manual says every 300 miles . I do mine maybe once a week , or when it looks too dry .
    Hoses
    Sure , replace them . Make sure there are no stray chunks of rubber that can come off and get in your fuel system . That's no fun . And the clamps are probably fine if they ain't been abused . But if they feel stiff or worn , hose clamps are cheap .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Along the lines of chain maintenance, the guys over at webBikeWorld.com seemed to really like the Dupont Teflon Chain Lube. I'm all about the not-making-a-mess-of-everything type lubes. Anyone using this stuff? Opinions?

Comment

Thank you all for sticking with this newbie's questions. I have 2 more:

1.) How do I know when I need a new chain? I firgured I needed one because mine is 8 years old and I really have not been good to it. But it has been in doors alot and for the last few years I haven't been putting that many miles on it. Maybe all I need is a good cleaning. The sprokets look new ... sludgy but new.

2.) How do you wash your bike? Do you put a tarp over the chain to protect it? Or do you just wash the bike and then clean and lube the chain. I bet cleaning the chain makes a mess of the bike so this could get a bit circular...

Comment

Originally posted by drs
          1.) How do I know when I need a new chain? I firgured I needed one because mine is 8 years old and I really have not been good to it. But it has been in doors alot and for the last few years I haven't been putting that many miles on it. Maybe all I need is a good cleaning. The sprokets look new ... sludgy but new.
          This is the best picture I have seen on the subject:

From CP's site..
          Originally posted by CP
          replacement limit is around 1.5mm of play when measured like this (i.e. - being able to pull the chain 1.5mm off the rear center of the rear sprocket).
          Originally posted by drs
          2.) How do you wash your bike? Do you put a tarp over the chain to protect it? Or do you just wash the bike and then clean and lube the chain. I bet cleaning the chain makes a mess of the bike so this could get a bit circular...
          I scrub the whole thing chain and all. I use mild soap and very low water pressure (open hose, no nozzle) then dry the chain with a rag and after it is completely dry, relube it. Washing the chain IMO is key, get all the dirt and grit off that will cause extra wear to the chain and sprockets.

Comment

Question regarding the 1.5 mm replacement limit. Is this really a good benchmark? Can I just keep moving the tire back with the adjuster so there will never be slack? What am I missing.

Comment

Originally posted by drs
              Question regarding the 1.5 mm replacement limit. Is this really a good benchmark? Can I just keep moving the tire back with the adjuster so there will never be slack? What am I missing.
              Eventually you're going to run out of room for the tire to move back. That's when it's trash time.
              Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
              -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
              -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
                Eventually you're going to run out of room for the tire to move back. That's when it's trash time.
                then you just need an extended swing arm then the chain can go forever

Comment

Chain and Sprocket sets

Check this site out:

We are sorry, but this page cannot be found. If you have any questions or can't find what you are looking for, please contact us .

Comment

Originally posted by drs
                    Holy crap sorry I missed this one!!
                    NO
                    The space between the links increases. So one of two things happen on an over stretched chain:
                    1. the links eventually fit so poorly the chain come off the sprocket reeking havoc and injury (to you and the bike) as it goes.

2. a link eventually breaks reeking havoc etc etc..

A broken chain scares the hell out of me.. It's like a flat tire and engine seizure all at once with a ball peen hammer to the ankle for good measure!

The 1.5 mm will never be fixed by moving the wheel back. See that 1.5 mm is how poorly the links fit on the sprocket. Not how tight the chain is.That is why you check it exactly as the picture shows, at the rear most part of the sprocket..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                      Originally posted by drs
                      Holy crap sorry I missed this one!!
                      NO
                      The space between the links increases. So one of two things happen on an over stretched chain:
                      1. the links eventually fit so poorly the chain come off the sprocket reeking havoc and injury (to you and the bike) as it goes.

2. a link eventually breaks reeking havoc etc etc..

A broken chain scares the hell out of me.. It's like a flat tire and engine seizure all at once with a ball peen hammer to the ankle for good measure!

The 1.5 mm will never be fixed by moving the wheel back. See that 1.5 mm is how poorly the links fit on the sprocket. Not how tight the chain is.That is why you check it exactly as the picture shows, at the rear most part of the sprocket..
                      I was waiting for someone to give a real answer, I couldnt do it myself because that would ruin my rep as a smart ass

Comment

If I buy the Vortex 520 conversion.. but I decide to keep the Gear ratio exactly the same as stock (the bike revs high enough already.. I don't want it revving even higher), what is the 520 going to do to my bike?

I'm hovering between the Vortex 520 conversion or that Ebay $99 chain and sprocket 530 setup. The Vortex is $150 shipped and the Evay one is $108 shipped.

I just want to know exactly what going to 520 entails. If CP recommends sticking to 530, I'd like to know why.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Genkenx2

I just want to know exactly what going to 520 entails. If CP recommends sticking to 530, I'd like to know why.
                          Then you need to get the info from him. I can't guess why.

Comment

Because there's no REAL need to convert to 520 to save weight and junk (bike's heavy , live with it ) , and you just lose some longevity .

Comment

The title of the thread is: cheapest chain and sprocket setup?

I tried to do right by offering an inexpensive good quality chain and sprocket. So what is better?
                              Buying cheap as shit chain and sprocket but 530.
                              Or Vortex sprockets and an RK chain but its 520?

I'll say it again.. 520 on a Katana?? I'll sleep at night just fine! The tensile strengths are not that far apart. Not in the under 100 HP range.

Comment

This is true . But it seems most people get the 520 thinking they suddenly have a drag machine . Personally , I'd rather have a more stout chain that'll maybe last a while longer . I've tossed 2 chains while in motion . I don't wanna screw around and end up tossing another .

Comment

Working...
                                X