X

Rattle noise on cold start up???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattle noise on cold start up???

It sounds like timing chain noise but I can't pinpoint it. As soon as it warms up its fine, its only got 15000km on it, are they bad for cam chain tensioners? Any thoughts?
    Gripp & Regripp

98+ Kats had a redesign of the cam chain tensioner assembly to reduce the failure rate compared to pre-98's, but as with any mechanical system, there is still the possibility that it has failed. Replacing the spring is cheap, easy peace-of-mind.

BUT my guess is that what you are hearing is either the fact that whatever your oil is, it's not polar-bonded (in other words, it isn't sticking to the steel parts magnetically because it isn't made out of PAO group IV or group V oils), or a valve that's a bit too loose (which closes up most of that gap once it heats up an expands). When did you do your last valve adjustment, and what brand/type of oil are you running?

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I did the valve adjust about 2000 km ago, the noise is coming from the lower front of the case, I'm running suzuki 10W40 oil, but I had full syn. Amsoil in it before and the noise was still there. It sounds like a chain rattle, but you would think it would stay the same even when warm????
      Gripp & Regripp

Comment

Originally posted by Gripp
        I did the valve adjust about 2000 km ago, the noise is coming from the lower front of the case, I'm running suzuki 10W40 oil, but I had full syn. Amsoil in it before and the noise was still there. It sounds like a chain rattle, but you would think it would stay the same even when warm????
        Easy way to tell if it's the tensioner: it literally sounds just like a singer sewwing machine when at idle, warm or cold. If you don't know what a singer sewwing machine sounds like, pop by a sewwing goods store and ask them to demo a unit for you (tell them you're considering buying a mother's day present or a birthday present or whatever) -- the cheaper the sewing machine, the more like the tensioner sound it will sound.

Or just swap the spring and have peace of mind about that part and then figure out what it really is.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thats exactly what it sounds like. I'm going to order a spring today and try it.
          Gripp & Regripp

Comment

Apparently the spring is back ordered 2-3 weeks. Nice!
            Gripp & Regripp

Comment

Working...
            X