X

please tell me my tranny's not shot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
    I would say the tranny is toast with those symptoms. It's easier and cheaper to replace the whole unit vs repairing. That's just my $.02
    +1

Much easier to replace.
    '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Originally posted by takirb
      here's the small shavings...
      The good news is that those aren't substancial shavings.
      Get a copy of the shop manual, yank off that front sprocket and chain, and then see if it still makes the same noise/issues with the sprocket off. If you're lucky, it won't (although I doubt it will make the difference). It's possible that the chain slop has to do with the chain injesting the part that came off and getting really stretched at that instant.

Then it comes down to what you need to do to correct it all. If it's just the shift-spring kit and the sprockets + chain, you're lucky and it will be fairly cheap. If it's the tranny as a whole, I'm going to echo every one else's advice and tell you to buy the engine + tranny used and do a swap. Good time to think about moving up to a 750 (will bolt right in).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Just a thought,

I know not much on engines and tranny, but I dont think this has been asked...

Can the rear wheel rotate when not linked to the chain? Could it be the rear wheel bearings seized? That would explain the grinding, and also the wierd chain loop if the engine tried to pull it...

Just a thought...

Aramis

Comment

yes, if they chain is off, then there will be nothing to stop the rear wheel from rotating.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm...............

Part loose in your hand looks like the bearing keeper that goes just inside the front sprocket.......but it goes inside the case! I can't figure out how it puked out without busting the case.........

Sure sounds like the tranny went...............2nd gear is known to be a problem on the 89-97 Kats.............

WHERE are you located in SC? If you're close, (its not that big a state!) you could bring it up here and you and I can pull it apart and see whats up! I have spare engines available, but Range's is NOT one of them! Shoot, its still in Canada!

I have a 98+ engine here like Mr. Clean's............01 or 02 with less then 1700 miles. I also just got a cherry early Kat 750 engine! I also have several exact replacement engines (early 600's).

E-mail me............for quickest results.
            I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
            Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
            Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

RANGE:

Your bike is SOLD. I plan to rebuild it!

I just gotta get you the $$ and figure out the shipping..........and have you found out about the title transfer yet?

But...........consider her gone!
              I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
              Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
              Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

i talked with the local bike shop today. the guy said to put it back together and they'd pick it up and look at it for free. i explained what happened and he said he was willing to bet money that it's something other than my transmission blowing. he said he knows about the 2nd gear blowout from kats, and that this didn't sound like it to him, but he'd look to make sure.

question - when i was trying to put the shift pedal back on, how do i get that steel o-ring back on? it took me forever to get it off, and now i can't get it back on....

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
                "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

Steel o-ring? Do you mean the circlip that locks the shift pedal in place? Use a pair of circlip pliers, like these:

Bent nose pliers and straight nose pliers for internal circlips and external circlips from Springmasters.
                  - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Sure , take the EASY way ! I used a REALLY thin pair of needle-nose pliers to get mine on and off a few times . The circlip pliers make it CAKE , though . You gotta get it spread apart to pop it back on . Only prolem is , if it slpis off your pliers , it WILL go flying and you may never find it again . Old mechanics used to call them "Jesus clips" , cause that's what they said when they went flying across the garage !
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

OK, I know the stress you are going through and no one has said this yet.

It is not the Transmission
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                        Sure , take the EASY way ! I used a REALLY thin pair of needle-nose pliers to get mine on and off a few times . The circlip pliers make it CAKE , though . You gotta get it spread apart to pop it back on . Only prolem is , if it slpis off your pliers , it WILL go flying and you may never find it again . Old mechanics used to call them "Jeebus clips" , cause that's what they said when they went flying across the garage !
                        Actually I haven't got any circlip pliers myself, been using a small flat screwdriver to take mine off, and pushed it back using force. It does work, probably because the circlip is old and is getting weak... I'm not recommending this to anyone else, I just find it hard to accept that the cheapest pair of pliers around here goes for about 15 euros. I know I'm cheap.
                        - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

i tried with some needle nose pliers, and couldn't really get it to budge. yes, it did go flying once but i saw it land lol i ended up just taping them to a piece of paper with the front sprocket seal 'cause i couldn't get it back on

i sure hope it's not the transmission, it'll be forever till i can get it fixed or get another bike.....

"Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

Originally posted by takirb
                            i tried with some needle nose pliers, and couldn't really get it to budge. yes, it did go flying once but i saw it land lol i ended up just taping them to a piece of paper with the front sprocket seal 'cause i couldn't get it back on

i sure hope it's not the transmission, it'll be forever till i can get it fixed or get another bike.....
                            that is why we call them Jesus Christ clips here.
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

checked on my bike at the shop today. they showed me a bearing that was busted behind the front sprocket, and said that's all he can see wrong without getting into the case. he's going to get a price on the bearing for me tomorrow and said he can let me know how much it's gonna be if i want them to do it. what else ya'll think might've happened as a result of that bearing busting out?

Comment

think about small bearings running through the gear box, ouch, sorry Bro
                                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                                Who knows what is next?

Comment

Working...
                                X