X

BAD Engine Noise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAD Engine Noise

For about the last three weeks i have been getting loud engine that is very mechanical sounding like loud movement, not metallic screeching. It sounds like its coming from the head. It doesnt sound like a single valve but the whole valvetrain. My first thought was low on oil due to burning or leaking but the oil is full and was only changed 2000 miles ago, non synthetic. The compression was checked 3000 miles ago and was factory spec. My next suspicion would be valves adjusted but i had that done at the dealer on 2000 miles ago. I have noticed the noise gets a little less pronounced as the engine warms up. It also has been running a little hotter since the noise has started, not overheating but just warmer. The mods done to it are k and n pods, dynojet kit using the 130 mains, 4 1/2 clips on the needles, and 3 turns out on air fuel screws. Also have vance and hines supersport system. I did go on two very agressive rides around the time that it happened and pinged the rev limiter twice for a second. I didnt think that would be enough to knock the valves out of adjustment or damage the internals though. I suspect the bike is running rich from the carb settings not lean so i wouldnt suspect its predetonation(assuming its a symptom of running lean). Any ideas would be more than helpful because im out of them. I will try to put a video up tonight when i get home of the noise because i know that would help.
    Spacho

Would a worn tensioner spring change the noise it makes when the bike gets warm ?
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

How would i determine if it was a worn cam tensioner spring? Is it something that commonely goes out considering i have 23000 miles on the engine?
      Spacho

Comment

Originally posted by md86
        Would a worn tensioner spring change the noise it makes when the bike gets warm ?
        Usually it's symptomatic at idle, cold or warm, but more so cold in my experiences.

Personally, I would yank the valve covers off and go investigating. No sense in waiting until something devours itself.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
        X