X

Carb sync problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb sync problem

Ok, so I fired up the b12 motor today for the first time, I let it warm up for a good 20 minutes with a fan on the oil cooler.

Then I set the idle to 1750 and proceeded to sync the carbs.

I noticed that carb #1 seemed to be acting funny on the gauge, like it was spitting air out instead of sucking air, and the gauge just bottoms out every now and then.

I took this video of the sync gauges while it was running.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Any one have any ideas was to what could be wrong?
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Back fire? It might be running rich..

Comment

But it's only on carb #1 though....

I'll pull the carbs and check to make sure that the screws are all even.

The jet kit instructions I got from dale walker says the the screws need to be anywhere from 3.5 to 4.75 turns out, and 3.75 is a good base setting. Maybe I'll try 3.5 and see what happens.
      Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
      18v Rigid Drill
      New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
        But it's only on carb #1 though....
        Thats totally possible. I had the same thing. On #1 too

Comment

Alright, well, I adjusted the AF screws, and I pulled the needles out and I guess when I put the new needles in from the jet kit, there were already shims in there from stock, and they were stuck to the bottom, so I had 2 shims in there, so I took those out, now all the needles and shims are the same. The idle seems pretty good, I haven't had a running bike in so long I don't even remember what it supposed to sound like, but it sounds pretty good to me.

But I have something else that worries me. With Dales jet kit, I have the K&N pod filters, and with that there is a breather filter that attaches to the breather box, this is the hose that usually cycles air back into the airbox. But I noticed there was some white smoke coming out of it, I thought it was the K&N filter oil, but I took that filter off and the smoke was still coming out of it.

It doesn't smell like burnt oil, any ideas as to what it could be? Or is this normal?

05/02 1216 Kabandit
          18v Rigid Drill

Comment

The "smoke" is coming out of the what?
            The valve cover? This is probably water vapor boiling off. Water condenses in the engine and as it come up above 100C it vaporizes.. This is a good thing. It is why people will get their stored vehicles up to temp every once and a while. So the water doesn't start corroding stuff inside the engine..

Comment

Yea, its from the valve cover, the little breather box on top of it.

So will the steam ever stop coming out? Or will this be a continuous thing?

05/02 1216 Kabandit
              18v Rigid Drill

Comment

It should stop once the water is all boiled off..
                Then only a little if you run it daily

Comment

Well I had it idling for about 10-15 minutes today, and probably about 10 minutes yesterday as well, but the thing is I don't know how long this engine was sitting before I got it.

But hopefully you're right, and it isn't something else.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                  18v Rigid Drill

Comment

Well I hope so too, I don't see anyone else chiming in!!

Comment

Alright, I'm still having the same problem with the white smoke coming from the breather filter from the top of the head cover.

It's a white colored smoke, and it doesn't smell like burning oil.....

It seems to be more prevalent when the engine is hot too.

Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be??

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                      18v Rigid Drill

Comment

I don't know man..
                        I wish someone else would say something!!

Anything..

Comment

white smoke is probably just the water burning off, have you changed the oil? there could be quite a bit of water in the oil that is now burning off.

Generally black smoke = fuel
                          white = water/coolant
                          blue = oil

Comment

Yea, I put new oil in it, it's less than 100 miles old...I guess I'll change it again and see what happens....

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                            18v Rigid Drill

Comment

Working...
                            X